Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:57 am 
recent arrival

I bought my first kayak about 15 years ago after looking first at local dealers then eBay, I discovered something I'd never heard of, a folding kayak by Folbot. I bought the Aleut and it came with a downwind sail. Soon after trying it, my wife and I bought a used Folbot Yukon for her because she's 6' 1" tall and found the Aleut too cramped. She still uses hers but I sold my Aleut and bought a Cooper new when Folbot introduced it. I removed the stock seat and designed my own and have used it since. We live in SW NH and paddle lakes and the Connecticut river and because her family owns a cabin on the ocean in Deer Isle Me, we also paddle the ocean at least once a summer. I'm now 73 and the kayaking helps me maintain my upper body tone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:58 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome aboard and thanks for such an interesting background. Very inspirational that age isn't a barrier :D

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), Advanced Elements AirFusion 1040, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:14 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

"Very inspirational that age isn't a barrier"

I completely agree. I am 65 and I am encouraged that the youth and inexperience of you younger folks is not a barrier to your enjoying this wonderful sport. Age should have nothing to do with it.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor
(sold) 1969 AEII, S2; Kahuna; '80s Klondike; 2005 Java

Post subject: Re: New to the forum
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:38 pm 
recent arrival

I just joined the forum. I've been a folding kayak paddler for a decade or so. I'm from central Indiana, where most kayaking has to be in muddy ponds and shallow rivers, but have been fortunate enough to get to travel to the southern Georgia coast many times over the years and boat in the Atlantic and among the barrier islands and marshes. I'm more or less retired -- I do occasional temporary work for the Indiana Department of Revenue (I don't have anything to do with your taxes, fellow Hoosiers, I just convert paper forms to digital format!) -- and am reasonable active outdoors. I like flyfishing and cycling as well as kayaking. I've been a Folbot Yukon owner for about ten years. My son has a Cooper, and we boat together whenever possible. I loved Folbot's attitude and dedication to quality and customer service (in the "old days," of course) and was upset and saddened when the company went "temporarily" out of business. I was served several times for minor repairs and replacements and was always impressed by the help and level of consideration. Sad to think that a business proving that everything in commerce doesn't have to be soulless and dedicated solely to greed can't make it. Partly a sign of the times, I suppose. We live in an age of short attention spans and ephemeral, throw-away technology.

Morbid musings aside, I wanted, in addition to introducing myself, to put out a general request for advice on repairing cuts in the Folbot Hypalon skins. I have been paddling around Jekyll Island in Georgia and have twice sliced the bottom of my Yukon on oyster beds in the shallows. Last time it was fairly minor, requiring surface patches but no real through and through punctures. Today, alas, I scraped over a big one and put a slit about an inch and half long clear through the bottom. It's a very thin, razor clean slit that almost didn't leak while everything was taut, but I can actually see daylight through it with the skin off. In the old days, I would have been confident that Folbot could have revitalized my boat, but now I'll need to be more self-reliant.

At any rate, happy to hopefully "meet" other members and be a part of this community.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi Ray,
Tenacious tape will work great:
https://smile.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Tenac ... =tuff+tape

Or gorilla duct tape from any hardware store/HD.
Neither mind water and are very tough.
Good Luck!

Folbot Greenland II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm 
faltbootemeister

There are several discussions on the forum about hull repair for Hypalon.
'try some searching to see what you can find.
If any of the members can refer to a particular thread, please do.
Here's a big, long one on skin repair in general.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6282