Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from London
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:44 am 
recent arrival

I've taken up kayaking for the first time this summer. Been renting kayaks so far, but looking for advice as to my first boat, mainly to use for recreational trips of 2 hrs or so on the Thames. Must be light enough to carry for about 0.5 mile, no more than 15 mins setup time, durable and reliable and hopefully without too much drying/aftercare involved. I'm 5' 9" and 190lbs. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Hello from London
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 pm 
forum fanatic

Hello and Welcome.
I am new to folders, so have no advice for you. But I look at others' posts on specific models for info. I also read reviews on Amazon, REI, and paddling.com.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:31 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi Norton,
I recommend getting the lightest kayak you can afford if you're going to lug it half a mile to the river. Second hand is obviously cheaper but greatly restricts your choice to what happens to be available in Britain or Europe, unless you are willing to pay customs charges. (Or fly out to collect and chance it on the way back.) You might want to consider the Pakboat Quest 135 or 155. Or if you don't mind something a bit older with the likelihood you'll have to get or make a new skin, you might find a Tyne Prefect suits you. Keep an eye on ebay or consider asking foldingkayaks.co.uk what they've got available. I've been enjoying mine since I glued together a new skin following Yost's directions. I've probably walked it half a mile between river and train station.
Also, make sure you get something that sets up quickly, if you're going to be going for short recreational trips. I'll happily spend 20 minutes piecing together my kayak for a 2 hour paddle, but some folders take nearer the hour mark to put together (I'm thinking of my Ally canoe), which is obviously not worth doing if you've only got an afternoon available to get out for some exercise and you're then going to have to take it apart again at the end.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 am 
recent arrival

Thanks for the welcomes and advice. Any thoughts on the Nortik Scubi1?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:14 pm 

I've not paddled one. Someone else might be able to comment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:22 pm 

It's hard to beat a 12' Pakboat Puffin for matching your specifications. I have an older Puffin 12 (current model is their Saco) and brought it with me from the US to the UK for a vacation trip to Yorkshire this past May, paddling on the Rivers Rye and Derwent while there. Just used it this week on Lake Erie in a lot of wind and waves and it paddled beautifully. Weighs 23 pounds and I can set it up in about 20 minutes without rushing. If you want something a little more seaworthy and faster, the Quests are great, but 5 pounds heavier (I have a 135). The 135 and 155 models have been discontinued though Pakboat may still have some left in stock -- they have upgraded to the Quest 150 which has a few more features but is basically the same as the 155.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15