Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:41 pm 
recent arrival

From the former home of the Folbot!

Back in the '70's, my father and I built 2 rigid Supers. I had a lot of fun in those days, testing the vinyl hull against oyster banks and whatever the Stono River could throw at it...

Fast forward to today, I recently picked up an old single. Knew that Folbot quit supporting the old boats some years back to favor the new ones, and that they have since shut down totally. What a {expletive deleted}!

Way back when we went to pick up our kits, we ran into Mr Kissner! He was kind enough to give us a full tour of the plant! I think he would be disappointed at how things went after the company sold. He was a one-man sales machine for his boat line!

Anyways, my old single needs some service. After removing old patches, I discovered some damage towards the stern, like the vinyl hardened and rotted under the patch. The rest of the skin is pliable, so I am gonna give repair a shot! Been acquiring materials and adhesives. Minor scuff patches will be replaced with clear vinyl, glued with H-66. The major hull repair will consist of vinyl applied from the inside with 3M Flexible epoxy, then built up from the outside with a large symmetrical patch of vinyl, glued at the edges with H-66, and the interior field with 3M #90 spray adhesive. Then I will be replacing the deck fabric.

Fabrics will be from a few places. Joann store has a nice marine vinyl that will do for the inner parts of the major patches. The outer repair skin is a vinyl that matches as close as I can get to the yellowish brown leathery vinyl, purchased from an Ebay seller. The new deck will be an industrial fabric in tan, purchased from Big Duck, a wholesaler in Winder GA. This is straight PVC material, no backing. One side has a canvas type texture, the other a smooth matte finish. I will be facing the matte finish to be seen.

Monel staples on standby!

Probably will do a pictorial thread on the repair adventure!
Guess it should go in the Folbot subforum?
Viva la Folbot!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:34 pm 
faltbootemeister

Welcome to the forum!

Folbot's demise upset many loyal owners. With your intamint history of the company that had to be a hard pill to swallow.

I have a Folbot Cooper and a Feathercraft B. Kahuna. Oh well. But as you will find out by following this forum, most folding kayak owners are problem solvers and love to tinker with their boats. It sounds like you are that kind of person. I know this is simplistic but I've felt that if you can repair a tent, you can repair a folding kayak. Good luck with your project.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:04 pm 
recent arrival

Thank you Jeremiah!

I am hoping my memory from building way back will help in the repairs and skinning. Little help from some time spent in an upholstery shop...

Had my plastic yak friends by to look at the Folbot. They were floored when I had them flip it over on the sawhorse, they expected much, much heavier!
New deck material should be in next week, and I will start the disassembly stage and a pictorial thread!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:29 pm 
recent arrival

Well, tried to post a pictorial of my Folbot rescue/refurb...

1st attempt, pix too big (hosted on my own site)

Removed all the embed syntax...

Too many URLs.

shakes head... not gonna go to all the trouble to resize, I prefer to save at best resolution and full size.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:46 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I build an "album" on the Flickr free photo storage site and then post a link to it here when I want to share photos.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15