Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Member - San Diego
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:27 pm 
paddler

Hello - My name is Kelly and I am a new member. I recently purchased a used Klepper Aerius II Kayak with the hopes of sailing it in the local bay here. I got the folding kayak after I saw someone else using one and they were having a great time. Any recommendations as to how to care for these boats, I'm all ears. One thing I'm thinking about - I purchased this primarily to sail and would like to put on some outrigger pontoons for stability. Not sure how to do this as my mast is made of wood and I don't want to start drilling holes everywhere or making a mess of what is a classic little kayak. Open to any suggestions and I will check out the website here for more info. This is a great site and helped me make a decision to get this kayak. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome. There are several kits available from Folbot, Balogh Sails, and others designed specifically for folders. Some have outriggers that attach to the mast and coatings. See the sailing section below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 pm 
paddler

Thanks. I've started to go thru the sailing section. I'll check it out in more detail.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:16 pm 
paddler

Just assembled the Klepper Aerius 2 kayak I got, unable to post photos yet as I'm not technically too saavy. Looks like this was an old attic find, as there was actually two Klepper boats with sailing rigs, and one hull. Everything is in great condition. I even found another set of brand new sails, as well as some unknown objects (looks like an aluminum T bar with straps, a deck table, a grey spray skirt, a can of Klepper wax, some type of colorful zipper bags to hold things, a small instruction book and an undated bill of sale written in German.

I purchased this sight unseen and a friend picked it up, so I was quite surprised when I started putting things together that there were two boats. I have no idea o the date, but I can assume the first boat was from at least the 60's, and the other was from a later time as some of the hardware ribs seem to be a little different clasps and one boat has blow up seats while the other has plastic seats. Both boats were hardly used at all. I'm looking forward to getting this kayak out on the water and maintaining it in the excellent condition that it deserves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Sounds like you got a bargain. A new skin if ever affordable, virtually turns an older good frame into a new boat. Not cheap but that's the way I went. Now a stab at the age of the frames. If the bow and stern pieces have lightening holes in them and the coaming is in three pieces plus the boomerang has probably red plastic inserts for the rudder lines to go through then it,s probably from the 1960s. If the bow piece and the stern piece have no lightening holes and the coaming is in one piece joined with what seem flimsy hinges (although with a little care they are ok) then the frame is probably from the 1970s . I don,t know the exact date of the changes, we might be told by a member who knows. Here are photos showing the bow and stern pieces with lightening holes and one of the frame without lightening holes in the stern piece.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:33 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Mac,

Sounds like you are in luck as long as the hull is in good shape, without cracks and soft/flexible. The aluminum piece you mentioned is a hand tiller that attaches via the straps to the boomerang (the backrest wood piece) and the deck table is more commonly called a traveler...it is used to mount the control fixtures for the sail rig. Pics would help, but have fun with your "new" find!
g

1990 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:43 pm 
paddler

Thanks for your input, especially on the unknown items. I'll have to check the boats and see, although I remember one of the boats has labels on the front and back, which I assume to mean "front and back", as they were in German. I contacted Klepper USA on what to do, they recommended some conditioner for the hull and some varnish for the wood. Presently picking up some sailing hardware to make my own control deck to control the lines and such. I'm still amazed at the design of this thing and that it is still in good shape 50 years later, although the test will be once it gets in the water.