Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:14 pm 
recent arrival

Hi to all you folding kayak gals and guys!

I have owned an old large cockpit Nautiraid for 20 years. It has "Firefox" emblazoned on its fading fabric, and from checking on websites, I believe it is related, or is, a Grand Narak 550 with Stableaids, sailing rig, etc.

In raising my family, from folding to permanent it stayed on my off-the-grid Reid Island home (49th parallel near Thetis Island), and was used for its first ten years to cruise my neighbouring waters. Whip me with fabric and rope, but I have neglected it for the last 10. Its fabric is torn, but all else intact.

I have a guilty conscience every time I look at it. I am looking for advice:

- Can it be re-fabriced? Where? Can a modest nerd like me with limited kayak repair skills do it if a custom shaped fabric is found?
- Is there a person who loves these challenges out there who might take it on? Completely I mean, owning and loving it.

Interesting, although I have no provenance on this, but its history I was told, was of a woman artist who explored the artic with it, carrying her paints and canvases. Can't remember the name, or find evidence of same on the world wide web.

Thanks for welcoming me,

Kevan of Reid Island

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:48 pm 
paddler

What material is the hull/deck made from? what does the damaged look like. Post some pics of the boat, that might help with responses. It might be possible to ship it back to Nautiraid for a new hull/deck. Check with the distributor if there is one in Canada. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:10 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome! I suggest you post pictures of your kayak so we can identify it. It’s not a Grand Narak 550 as it is too old. They’ve only been making them for a few years.

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Wanted:original Advanced Elements Air Fusion
Cape Falcon F1. Beth, Hobie AI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:10 pm 
recent arrival

I will take photos when I get back to Reid in a few weeks and post! Thanks, everyone.