Greetings from a northern shore

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

pedallingpete
recent arrival

Greetings from a northern shore

Post by pedallingpete »

Hello all faltboot-ers out there!

I'm Peter from Sweden and I have been paddling since 1980.
Due to my concern for mother earth I have no car so I bought a Feathercraft Wisper in 2006.
I also use the kayak's in my club and recently got a Zegul Arrow Play ME PE for training and longer trips.

I'm on the lookout for a larger Feathercraft so if any of you have a Heron or K! for sale let me know.

Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year! :D
Pete

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Greetings from a northern shore

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

Welcome, Pete!

I also have a Wisper as you do. I had an older FC K-1 for a while and found that it felt like a barge compared to the Wisper and was really a pain to set up. Also really too heavy to comfortably travel with. I sold it after less than 2 years of using it and have never felt I needed more capacity than the Wisper offers but I am probably smaller than you.

Are you familiar with PodRide, the ongoing project to manufacture a bike-powered "car" by your fellow countryman, Mikael Kjellman of Ostersund? It seems like something that would fit into your low-impact lifestyle. As soon as I saw his first GoFundMe a few years ago I thought "what a perfect way to transport a folding kayak". I sent Mikael some suggestions to contact some of the folding kayak makers like Feathercraft for advice on products and techniques for the shell of his vehicle but unfortunately Feathercraft closed before that could do any good. They are supposed to start final production later this year. I live in an area of steep hills and frequent bad weather so conventional biking is a real challenge. I'm hoping I have a chance to buy a PodRide before I get too old to drive it!

http://mypodride.com
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

Welcome aboard Pete!

pedallingpete
recent arrival

Post by pedallingpete »

Thank you! The Wiper is quite portable and I am worried a larger boat would make it harder to travel with all the other gear needed for a week long self sustained trip. But I've gained about 10 kg since I bought it and now weigh about 89 kg. Even with light camping gear I'v noticed how low it sits in the water. So my guestimate is that the specified weight limit of 136 kg / 300 lb is a bit optimistic. So I got a cheap Zegul Arrow Play ME PE for multi-day tours and the plastic version is very tough and when I have a finished converting a child bike trailer to a flatbed I will tow it behind my bike to the near by Archipelago of Stockholm in the Baltic Sea. When doing organised tours we usually car pool but a few times there is no one with room to spare on the roof rack, but usually there's room in the boot for a folding kayak. So a larger K1 or Heron would cover my needs and replace both my current kayaks.

The PodRide caused quite a stir on the interweb but unfortunately E-bikes are limited to 25 km/h and 250W here. That is only marginally faster than a push bike and since it have limited room for cargo or extra passengers it is of no use to me and I doubt it will reach production. I also get a good workout and exposure to the elements for free!
Cheers!

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

I hadn,t seen the PodRide if it gets to production I can,t see enough sales to make it profitable unless in North America their relaxed power regulations make it sell. Also here in the UK we have a maximum of 250W which is a pain. The wind could be a problem and I am not certain but I think being on 4 wheels stops it being classed as a bike or trike. I don,t know who the UK regulations are not made for, I would like a two seat mobility scooter as my wife has problems and can,t use a single seat one, two seat scooters are not allowed. This of course should be in the coffee house.

Return to “Introductions”