Hi from the Big Apple

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

yakfishe38

Re: Hi from the Big Apple

Post by yakfishe38 »

Hi KB,
Re: Hallett's Cove. My impression from the photos posted by the LIC Boathouse is that it's a portion of protected water used by the organization to foster interest in kayaking. They have a program by which, I believe, on Wednesdays(?) and Sundays they will provide, free of charge, a yak and PFD to anyone wishing to get out and paddle in the Cove. Signing a waiver is also required (rightfully so).
Their excursons in the river would seem interesting and at the same time, challenging.

Thanks for the reminder about dealers (ie), Empire, who allows access and use of facilities for a small fee. A very easy way to get on the water. I once rented a SOT from them about 4 years ago, very helpful, friendly people. Had a chance to sample a paddle for the first time. I remember now that they also sponsor groups which paddle at various times during the season....fireworks on July 4th, dinner paddles to local waterfront restaurants....all very appealing. Not sure I would be successful in getting my wife aboard. Best to do a day launch solo.
I was not aware of a launch at Captree. That also sounds quite inviting. The 'Nissy' would also be a good bet. I once saw a picture of someone who did not heed the tidal factor and had to slog onto drier land through thick mud.
Field 10 is a very good spot, but once in the channel it can become very busy with all the power boats charging back and forth.

When you go to any of your spots, do you transport your folder fully assembled?

harwax
forum fanatic

Post by harwax »

Hi Everyone,

Here is a great link to see launch sites on eastern Long Island.

http://www.sksa-ltd.com/launch.htm

The put-ins in Riverhead area (Peconic River) are especially scenic. One of my favorites launch sites is across the street (east) from the Peconic Paddler (very friendly kayak store). Their is a hugh free public parking area ( Riverhead down town waterfront area - basically behind Tweeds Restaurant - located on Main Street)). You can launch your kayak without getting wet because their is a lower dock next to a permanently anchored white boat called the Zephyer.

Happy paddling

Harwax

yakfishe38

Post by yakfishe38 »

Hi Harwax,
WOW! So many launch sites, so little time to try all. :shock:
This is quite a fantastic site. Thanks very much indeed for the posting.
I have been slowing compiling various locations, but this is a valuable motherlode.
Yes indeed, Happy Paddling.

harwax
forum fanatic

Post by harwax »

Glad I was able to give back to this website after receiving some much helpful information. If any fellow kayakers have any interest in doing a paddle on the eastern end of Long Island (north fork - wine country) this summer, I would be happy to help arrange the details.

Harwax

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Hi Guys.

The east end is a bit far from me as I'm an hour north of NYC. However, It would be really great to get together with a couple of 'fishing folders' and spend a day out on the water. What do you think about trying to hook up at that Jamaica Bay fishing tournament? Harwax, are you into fishing?

Or maybe Little Neck Bay early spring?

For fishing I'd be paddling a solo Klepper AII. My experience in current has been limited so I'd prefer starting relatively 'slow' if you know what I mean. This boat can get to be a handful in current - although that may be an unfair statement as I've always ended up paddling the current with my sail rig set up... guess I kinda love to sail...

What I should really say is that I seem to max out at about 3.5 knots paddling this thing solo and I'm not sure how long I could sustain that pace.

Enough about my misgivings though. Yakfishe, how's your boat search coming along? Any particular models you're leaning towards?

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

yakfishe38

Post by yakfishe38 »

Hi Guys,
I think Little Neck Bay in Spring would be a great season starter. I guess we would have to use the area before the marina season opens in order to easily park in the spots next to the ramp.

I narrowed my focus to the Innova Soar (20#), the AE Advanced Frame Sport (26#) and the Pakboat Puffin Sport (18#, and now on a closeout).
But as I began seriously thinking of fishing (gear box, tackle, hooks and thrashing hooked fish) the original concept of a pack-up craft began to become complicated.
This realization brought me to the proverbial fork in the road. Folders/inflatables for leisurely paddling, exploring back bays/creeks, photography, small package stored, easily carried vs a hard shell SOT designed for fishing yet can be pressed into service exploring back waters, lakes, etc ....yet small for storing (on end) in the back corner of a garage.
Enter the Malibu Mini-X (9'8"x34" & +/-38#) lightly used, 3 yrs.
This yak can be transported by station wagon (98% inside) or car topped
on a rack (which would also be the mode of transportation for an assembled folder). Granted, it's heavier, somewhat akward due to its beam, requires two people to lift on car rack (bulky for me alone). But I also found that any kayak, folding or rigid, can be 'rolled' atop a car using a product called 'Roller Loader' (Amagannsett Beach & Bicyle Co).
I also found plans to build a type of cart using PVC piping, a 1/2" diameter metal rod for an axle using 8" wheels attached with washers and clips. The kayak can then be mounted on this 'cart' via the scupper holes. I think it's worth the plunge and get to work...I would like to think Spring is just around the corner (if you ignore the snow piles).
Let's plan for that rondevous at the Bayside marina.
I almost forgot...from what I have seen on the NYC Water Trail map, there seems to be a terrific looking launch facility in Pelham Bay Park off Orchard Beach, Bronx. An easier destination from South Salem.

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

I agree with Harwax that the Peconic is very scenic. Right before you pass the Rt 105 bridge, there's also bird santuary on the right that is worth exploring. At the mouth of the river, there's a small beach that makes for a good rest stop and ideal turning point. However, the last time I went to the put-in Riverhead, the site seemed to be somewhat poorly maintained. There seems to be the remnants of a wooden ramp or dock, but it has completely fallen apart. To launch, I had to put the kayak in the water and step on a couple of tree roots to climb in. In the most recent Google Map images, they seemed to have paved the parking lot and rebuilt the dock. Can anyone confirm this? If so, then that is truly awesome.

The Captree launch can be a little confusing. The NY State Parks launch guide claims that you can use the concrete boat launch by the Marina. However, the charter boat operators there don't always let you use it. There's an alternate site by the fishing pier that I usually use. It's a beach launch that is pretty close to the parking lot, so I don't mind going there. The thing you need to remember about Captree is that it is a channel, so it does have strong currents as well as boat traffic. But once you get into the salt marshes, that's one of my most favorite places to escape from city life.

I normally cartop my kayak when going on daytrips, it's just easier for me. If I'm going for a longer trip, like to upstate NY, I'd probably collapse it.

kb
Feathercraft Kahuna 2001

harwax
forum fanatic

Post by harwax »

Hi KB,

The Riverhead put-in site you describe has to be different than the one I am talking about. Basically my site is about 1/4 mile west of the Riverhead Aquarium. There is a permanently docked boat called the "Zephyer" where you walk down the boat ramp and can launch from the lower dock ( a local rowing club uses the lower dock- I think they donated it, but not sure). It has been that way for at least 2 years, if not longer. Park behind Tweeds Restaurant in Riverhead and walk to the water, you will see the Zephyer docked just east in the back public parking lot behind Tweeds. I am talking west of the bird sanctuary and on the north side of the Peconic River, bird sanctuary is on the south side of the Peconic River.

I have a place in Baiting Hollow, so I paddle that area quite often.

Harwax

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

harwax wrote:The Riverhead put-in site you describe has to be different than the one I am talking about.
It must be. The one I used was right across the street from Peconic Paddler.
Feathercraft Kahuna 2001

andre
forum fanatic

Post by andre »

a rather belated welcome,Yakfishe38.Been fascinating reading all these replies and getting an insight into New York paddling.

yakfishe38

Post by yakfishe38 »

Thanks, Andre.
Considering the size of the city and suburban areas, there is much to do here. Only problem is the 'deep freeze' for several months. Guess the wait sharpens the desire for more paddling when better weather appears.

andrei

Post by andrei »

Hi everyone. My name is Andrei , I live on the eastern shore MD. And I have a two person klepper aerius from the 60s. The frame is in good shape but the canvas has some patches and need to be treated. I have original paddles and seats.
I bought it last year and have had lots of fun on the Chesapeake with it. since then one of the side pontoons stopped holding air. But i think that it can be easily replaced. Do you know anyone that might be interested in it. It needs a little work.

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Andre, you should post this in the FOR SALE section.

D
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Return to “Introductions”