Hi from the Big Apple

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

yakfishe38

Hi from the Big Apple

Post by yakfishe38 »

Hello Everyone,
I live within the city limits but enjoy fishing, kayaking every opportunity available.
I now think I should consider the world of folding (or inflatable) kayaks which at this point can offer a lighter, easier transportable paddling platform.
Kindest regards,
yakfisher38
:)

maryinoxford
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Hi from the Big Apple

Post by maryinoxford »

Hi Yakfisher, welcome to the forum.

If you browse around here, you'll find many discussions on the pros and cons of "bagboats". For the advantage of easy transport and storage, there's a penalty in assembling/ dismantling time. Folding kayaks generally take longer to assemble than inflatables, with the trade-off that you get a better boat at the end of the process.

Quite a few people here will keep their boat assembled most of the time, and car-top it for local journeys. Packing it inside the car makes longer journeys easier, and packing is the only way if you want to fly/ bus/ train.

To home in on the "best" bagboat for you, think about your priorities. Is it possible for you to store/ transport an assembled boat, or is it a case of pack/ unpack every time you use it? If you want a fishing platform, then stability and space for gear probably matter more to you than speed through the water.

Enjoy the possibilities.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

yakfishe38

Post by yakfishe38 »

Hi Mary,
Thank you for your welcome to the forum.
I do appreciate your assistance in helping to sort out the the differences in 'bag boats'.
Leaving a folder assembled and ready to go would be difficult for me due to limited storage space. It would be far more convenient for me to store the yak disassembled/deflated. Also the package would be more easy for me to handle and then assemble or inflate (depending on model chosen) at a site of launch.
Having said that, it does seem that a well chosen inflatable may provide me with the necessary ease of storage, transport, preparation, entry/exit and stability.
More reearch is definitely in order.
Best wishes for a Happy New Year. :)
Yakfisher

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Realy you have to look at all the options for you and your location, i never advise what boat people should buy. Most folders are not easy to transport unless you have a car, then check that the longest parts will go in, across or lenghtwise. assembly time allow 1/2 hour and the same for taking it apart, it can take longer. Then comes the drying part. You might look at http://www.folbot.com they have a small folder called "citibot" i think. I have NEVER seen one so i can,t give any opinion about it. Don,t be misled, choose what is good for you. I never keep my folders assembled, i assemble and take apart every time i use it unless on a trip or at a provincial park.

yakfishe38

Post by yakfishe38 »

Hi John,
Thank you for the heads up. I do agree, I must weigh all options.
I am trying to avoid wrestling with a rigid yak. I would need help in either loading into a station wagon or lifting on top for road travel.
If I consider a folding model, then I would have the work
of assembly/disassembly each time I go out. That's why I think a well designed inflatable may do the trick. Faster 'turn around' time. I must also consider the model of inflatable...SOT vs Sit-in and the ease of entry/exit... gracefully.

berniem
faltbootemeister

Post by berniem »

John
At the end of the day, open inflatable kayaks, like the Innova Sunny, dry faster than closed kayaks. However, the closed may be drier when paddling.

Bernie
BernieM
Folbot Cooper, Pakboat Sport, Innova Sunny, Epic GPX, Oru Kayak, Wike Bicycle Trailer

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

Welcome Yakfisher,

I'm in Queens NY, so I do most of my kayaking around Queens and Long Island. If you plan on kayaking around the city, you should also consider the length of your boat. New York City law prohibit kayaks that are under 14' to use its waters. However, I've seen plenty of sit-on-top fishing kayaks and inflatables that are well under that length. So I have a feeling that this is a loosely enforced rule.

There are plenty of folders out here. Mostly Feathercrafts, Kleppers, and the occasional Folbot. I do know that many that live in Manhattan often store their folders at the local boathouses, marinas, and kayak clubs rather than keeping them in their tiny apartments.

kb
Feathercraft Kahuna 2001

yakfishe38

Post by yakfishe38 »

Hi KanonBear,
Thanks for this new information.
I was totally unaware of the NYC limit of 14ft minimum. I do know of the yak permit and have been studying the NYC Water Trail map.
I too, have seen many SOT's on the water, many under the limit.
Since I'm constrained by weight, I think the 14ft size might be too heavy to wrestle with 'on the hard'. No problem when launched.
Have you paddled Jamacia Bay? That's one body of water that seems really appealing. I once drove to Floyd Bennet and had a chance to survey the possibilities.

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

yakfishe38 wrote:I was totally unaware of the NYC limit of 14ft minimum.
I think this restriction is due to the strong tidal currents that the Hudson, East and Harlem rivers have; perhaps they feel that you need boats with better tracking under those conditions. If you stay in the protected bays, I don't really think there's much of an issue.
Since I'm constrained by weight, I think the 14ft size might be too heavy to wrestle with 'on the hard'.
Get a little kayak cart. You will need it. Not every launch site on the water trail has convenient parking, even if the website say they do.
Have you paddled Jamacia Bay? That's one body of water that seems really appealing. I once drove to Floyd Bennet and had a chance to survey the possibilities.
I haven't. It's supposed to be pretty nice out there. I usually go out to Little Neck Bay, Fort Totten and various bays and rivers in Long Island. The area between Island Park to Jones Beach is a nice paddle.
Feathercraft Kahuna 2001

DLee

Post by DLee »

Hi Guys, I'm just up north a bit in Westchester Co.

A couple quick thoughts:

I have an Aerius II (Klepper) that is just a fantastic fishing platform. I can actually stand in the boat and cast if the coffee intake wasn't too great that day. These boats are quite available used as well-keep an eye on Craigslist. If you can find one with a sail package I highly recommend it.

There's a pretty serious kayak fishing tourny out in Jamaica Bay every year around Mother's day weekend. I'm hoping to make it this next year. Looks like a lot of fun. I think they stage and launch from Floyd Bennett Field - not positive though. Would be great to see some other 'folding fishers' out there.

Long Haul Kayaks will be displaying their products along with Balog sails at the upcoming NY Boatshow in two weeks. Javits ? That would be a great opportunity to get a really good look at these really nice american made boats. I recently picked up a used LH Ute and really love the way it assembles. Now if I could only keep it upright . . .

Metro North is also a great way to get up and out onto the Hudson - lots of launches close to various stations. Definitely get a cart.

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

yakfishe38

Post by yakfishe38 »

Hi KanonBear & DLee,
I recently dropped by the entrance to Ft. Totten (well before that recent blizzard) and parked in the lot just outside the entrance to the fort. There is a brand new kayak launch set up by NYC as part of the City Water Trail. Looks real cool and easily gives access to the area from the Throgg's Neck Bridge...east into LI Sound or West into the East River, but well before Hell Gate. Great area for fishing and just paddling. I also checked out Francis Lewis Park launch site, but found it's chained closed and not in good repair. The concrete ramp seems to need repair. If that is corrected then there seems to be an easy access to a small sandy beach for a soft launch. KanonBear, do you launch at Bayside for Little Neck Bay? I noticed a sign at the marina that said parking permit required from Memorial Day to sometime after Labor Day. I also noticed something new, the marina is offering kayak storage in a shipping container at the entrance to the pier and the foot of the access overpass.
I learned that the Jamaica Bay fishing tournament is sponsored by Capt. Kayak, Sayville, LI? (Captain Kayak.com) and it is in May, just around Mother's Day (I would think the water would still be very cold) at Floyd Bennett Field. So far, pictures of the event indicate the tourney is filled chock-a-block with rigid SOT's, fully rigged for fishing. Lot's of striped bass, weakfish and bluefish.
I never thought of Craigslist for used yaks. Worth looking at the website for various models and prices.
Thanks for all the heads up info!

DLee

Post by DLee »

Hey Yakfish,

Yep, nothing but SOT's fully rigged for that Jamaica Bay tourny. At least that's what it looked like when I looked at all the pictures. Which is why a few of us folders should show up . . . I do have to admit that my fishing expeditions have all been in my local lake with minimal prep and rigging - and although I've done a lot of fishing in NY Harbor and am just learning the islands around Norwalk, CT, I have little kayak fishing experience.

Frankly, one of my big concerns is Bluefish. I'm thinking an actual fish compartment might be necessary to handle these brutes. Those teeth are sharp (all around) and the last thing I want to do is drop a big one into my hypalon hull. I should do a little research in the regular kayak fishing forums and see how the SOTs handle these fish. For that matter, the Striped Bass dorsal fins are needle sharp themselves . . . hmmm.

Early spring in Little Neck bay can be an absolute blast for schoolie stripers. Almost a fish a cast (w/light jig and tackle) if you hit the timing right. I'd be into hooking up to give that a shot.

Norwalk, CT is the area that is closest to me. There are several good launch points with several islands to learn and fish. The harbor is quite large and allows for a lot of 'protected water' exploring before heading out to the islands. The Small Boat Shop in Norwalk also has a few folders for sale right now including a really nice AII expedition that is either a demo or lightly used. I know the price is less than new, but not exactly cheap. The boat looks great though.

They also have a demo Feathercraft Khatsalano S which looks really tempting. They are right on the water and always seem pretty anxious to get potential buyers to try the boats out. I'd give them a call beforehand if you decide to head up there for a sea trial. Not sure this would be a great fishing platform though.

Keep an eye on Paddleswap.com as well.

Good luck,

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

Hi Yakfish,

I've used both Fort Totten and Bayside Marina put-in sites. I tend to use the Bayside Marina site but it does have a lot more restrictions. From Memorial Day to October 31st, you need a membership from Bayside Marina in order to park there on weekends, holidays, and after 3pm on weekdays. So I try to go before Memorial Day or go for only the morning on weekdays. You can also park on 28th Ave. on the other side of the Cross Island and tow your kayak over the pedestrian bridge, but that's quite a hassle. Bayside Marina has a kayak storage there for around $400 for the season. It looks kind of lame for you would be paying.

The Little Bay launch site by Fort Totten has improved a lot this past year. There's still a beach launch with broken beer bottles and other junk that I'm not crazy about, but they've built a gravel pathway down to the beach from the parking lot that helps lot. You still need to be really careful when towing your kayak down. Parking on weekends are problematic because that park is packed with people. While it isn't right at Hell Gate, the currents can really pick up once you pass the jetties. Coupled with wind coming down from Long Island Sound, it can be a challenge paddling around Fort Totten into Little Neck Bay.

I've been wanting to check out Hallet's Cove in Astoria, but I don't know what the parking situation is like there. During the summer, I often just head out to Long Island. There's plenty of launch sites without the hassle of finding suitable parking.
Feathercraft Kahuna 2001

yakfishe38

Post by yakfishe38 »

Hey Guys,
Wow, it did not occur to me that catching and boating a Blue could ruin an afternoon. Thanks for the headsup and the link to paddleswap.

I often thought about what Hallett's Cove has to offer for a yak launch. The LIC Boathouse.org uses that site for their Sunday paddles. Their site has many interesting links as well.
I have also been visiting the site for Gowanus Dredgers, (They are located in the Silo Property @ 400 Carroll St. in Bklyn. Also Gowanus Canal. org is an interesting site.
Red Hook Boaters use Valentino Park as a launch site in Red Hook, Bklyn.

Being a resident of NYC, I often wonder about launch sites in Nassau/Suffolk Counties, many of which require a resident's sticker.
I do know of the Jones Beach Lanch area in Field 10 (no charge before and after the summer season). Also Sunken Meadow Park has a very good soft launch. Free permit for parking can be obtained at the office in the main pavilion.
I guess now is the time to seek out where to launch since this weather is definitely not conducive for a pleasant paddle.
Talk to ya'll soon again.

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

I suppose Hallet's Cove simply provides access to the waters around Manhattan from Queens. I think one of LIC Boathouse's tours is a paddle from Hallet's Cove to Brooklyn Bridge -- you ride the current down, and then follow it back up when it reverses.

Most outfitters in Long Island seem to let you put-in at their site for a nominal fee. For instance, Empire Kayaks in Island Park let you use their location for $5. That includes using their facilities and water to clean your kayak afterwards. Some places let you put-in for free if you have friends renting from them. It doesn't hurt to call.

All state parks just charge a parking fee from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Otherwise, their launch sites are free. The Jones Beach launch at Field 10 is awesome, in my opinon. It gives you great access to all the salt marshes and small beaches within the channel, as well as to the ocean if you wish to do that. I also like the launch at Captree Island. There's some great fishing out there. The Nissequogue River is also a good paddle, with launch sites at Smithtown, Kings Park and at Sunken Meadow; but you do need to pay attention to the tides.

kb
Feathercraft Kahuna 2001

Return to “Introductions”