Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:44 am 
Hi - I'm George. I'm new to all this. I'm looking for WWII Cockle Mark II plans. A user called tford posted he had some plans for sale way back in July 2007 but it doesn't look like he's a member anymore. Can anyone help?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:35 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I don't know the whereabouts of plans but the author of a recent book on them, Quentin Rees, should be able to help you. I had a feeling he was a poster here not that long ago. Try googling him in any case, and search this forum for posts mentioning 'cockleshell heroes'. I think he has a website ...

By the by, I noticed that a Mark II cockle was recently up for sale on ebay here in Britain. I wanted to have a quick look but ebay had some auto block on that prevented British users from viewing the sale. Almost certainly something to do with military goods, though how they can justify allowing a Brit to advertise for sale one of these dangerous military canoes while preventing them viewing the bleeding ad, I've no idea. ;-) I wonder what it went for in the end.

All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:21 am 
Thanks - I've just got Quentin Reeve's book so I'll try him

George

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quentin Rees has two books, the first one is, The COCKLESHELL CANOES British Military Canoes of Worl War Two isbn 978 1 84868 065 4 this is probably the one you have about the development of the craft and i found it very interesting. His second book is COCKLESHELL HEROES THE FINAL WITNESS isbn 978 1 84868 861 2. This is a detailed account of the raid into the harbour at Bordeaux France, it again is well worth reading, the details and information he uncovered is in my opinion astounding. And as the daily Telegraph said "The Truth at last". All of us should buy them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:00 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Ian that's hilarious.

D

Montauk 170

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:04 am 

DLee wrote:
Ian that's hilarious.

D

Try here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-WW2-1940 ... 4cf852839e
That is the paddle rather than the canoe (which for some reason I can't find; but if you're lucky enough not to be in the UK and therefore not blocked by ebay, you may find the same seller's recent sales includes the cockleshell--if so let me know what it sold for), but I imagine it is being sold by the same owner. Like the other, ebay won't let me view it. Their ridiculous message cites 'legal restrictions' which is obviously rubbish as there is no law here stopping me buying an antique canoe paddle!

quote:
Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.
unquote.

Apologies to George, the original poster. I hope I'm not hijacking your thread here. :-)
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Ian, the only listing I can find if for the two paddles which sold for £132.

I used advanced search for both ended auctions for the seller and cockleshell. Nothing.

Why don't you email the seller? It would be nice to see some of the pictures he has.

D

Montauk 170

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:33 pm 

Believe it or not, I can't actually see who the seller is to email him because although a search shows that an item is for sale, I can't get through to the link. All I get is the error message I mentioned above.

Still, that is a good price for a pair of antique paddles.
Thanks.

(I didn't dream the cockleshell auction, but perhaps the seller was disheartened and pulled it if no-one in the country could actually view his auction.)

All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:52 am 
Hi Chaps,

Forgot my log on so did it all again!

John A mailed me ref the Cockle mk 2 plan inquiry. I can help you out in this regard. email me on kewdos@gmail.com . private best.

Ref the ebay canoe... true it would be good if you read the CANOES book ( indeed the HEROES book is the better story of the famous 'frankton raid' so called cockleshell heroes raid on bordeau france. this is the first time the complete story has been written . the british 'NAVY NEWS' deemed it as encyclopedic. back o e bay canoe ... this is the mk 2** ( two star) the biggger version of the mk 2 as used on the frankton raid. all details in CANOES book. unfortuanatly the seller has certain details wrong despite having read my book... hey ho!
the mk 2** is 17 ft 4 in wereas the mk 2 is 15 ft. there are only six mk 2 types known of mine until recently years 2008 -june 2011 was at the national maritime museum in falmouth uk.

the mk 2** is a THREE MAN CANOE he mk 2 is a two man... both designed by FRED GoATLEY from the isle of wight uk. these are he only wo types of canoe with flat bottoms and are collapsed VERTICALLY alng the entire length... BOTH books have adequate coverage on the subjects.. hope helps!

john just get the plan chap o email me

thanks

Q

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:12 am 
idc wrote:
I don't know the whereabouts of plans but the author of a recent book on them, Quentin Rees, should be able to help you. I had a feeling he was a poster here not that long ago. Try googling him in any case, and search this forum for posts mentioning 'cockleshell heroes'. I think he has a website ...

By the by, I noticed that a Mark II cockle was recently up for sale on ebay here in Britain. I wanted to have a quick look but ebay had some auto block on that prevented British users from viewing the sale. Almost certainly something to do with military goods, though how they can justify allowing a Brit to advertise for sale one of these dangerous military canoes while preventing them viewing the bleeding ad, I've no idea. ;-) I wonder what it went for in the end.

All the best,
Ian

Hi Chaps

thought I replied to thread but hay ho>

plans yes.. can help.

Ref ebay the canoe on sale was aMK 2** ( two star) its the three man version ( 17ft 4 in) of the famous frankton raid ( cockleshell canoes) namely the Mk 2 (15ft). NB some info on ebay by seller wa incorrect despite him having the CANOES book!.. the designer of both the mk 2's was FRED GOATLEY from the Isle of Wight UK..... I own one of only six mk2 's known of it has been on display at the National MaRitme museum in falmouth uK 2008 - june 2011.

Would recommended the CANOES book for the paddlers and the HEROES book to show HOW they did it!

regards

Q

Last edited by mje on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fix readability

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

H, i tried to send you an email about you receiving some info on the plans you are after, something went wrong, but by now you may have the info you require from the author of the books.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:25 am 
Hi All - thanks for everyone piling in with some help. I found the censorship by ebay as amusing as everyone else.
I've contacted Quentin Rees directly as recommended so I'll take if from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:45 am 
idc wrote:

All the best,
Ian

Shall we have a chin wag about the MK 2**? the one on ebay was bought by a friend of mine so its in safe hands now...
Q

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

How about some 'real life' modern day pictures?

D

Montauk 170

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 pm 
DLee wrote:
How about some 'real life' modern day pictures?

D

of what?

Q