Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:12 pm 
I have had a Greenland II since 2001. I also owned a Yukon until April of this year when it was lifted on a trip to south Texas. I am also owner on a non-folding home-built, traditional skin-on-frame Baidarka. I paddle primarily on the lakes and rivers of South Dakota but have done solo trips to Prince of Wales Island (AK), northern Manitoba, upper Missouri River, and Vancouver Island. While I love the Greenland II, I transitioned to the Yukon several years ago due to the relative ease of handling the boat out of the water (i.e. portages or negotiating a long slippery beach at low tide). Now with the Yukon gone, I am considering selling the Greenland II and going with a smaller lighter craft more suitable for my age.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:37 pm 
faltbootemeister

Welcome pflyman! I'll bet you loved Prince of Wales Island. Ann and I spent two weeks there in 2011. We left only because we had the rest of Alaska still to visit.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:01 am 
faltbootemeister

Have you been watching eBay and Craigslist to see if you can catch the thief?
There is a stolen boat section on this forum as well.
What color is it? We can help keep an eye open for it.

If you want to shell out a pile of money, there's a blue Yukon on Amazon for about $2,000
Last I checked eBay, there weren't any Yukons.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:30 am 
I have periodically checked Ebay and Craigslist for a grey Yukon with no success. Apparently, the city of Houston also requires pawn shops to provide a daily list of incoming items and they (allegedly) automatically scan that for stolen serial numbers. I don't hold out much hope, frankly. The most satisfying thought for me regarding this sad affair is imagining the disappointment on the thief's faces when they opened the bags and tried to figure out the contents. Luckily for them, I included the instructions and a paddle, but I doubt if they will be paddling anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:51 am 
Hi paddler,

What part of South Dakota are you from? I really enjoyed paddling through the Palasades. I also took my boat out to Lake Alvin, Wall Lake, and my favorite is Oakwood lake near Brookings.

P.S. I am from Sioux Falls. I moved to Arizona about 2 years ago.