Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:32 pm 
paddler

Greetings bagboaters!
My name is Tim Fitton, and I live in Melbourne, Australia. About 8 years ago I bought a Folbot Citibot, and for the following few years I took it out on lots of paddling trips and posted some reports and photos from my kayaking trips on the Folbot forum. I should say a big hello to Mike (who I recall as being active on that forum) and any others from that forum who might be active on this forum. I should also say that I am saddened to read of the demise of the Folbot forum, the Folbot company and the Feathercraft company. I have been reading through a couple of relevant threads on this forum, and I believe these events present a sad reflection of the changing times. I might chat more about that in another post at another time. For now, I will stick to the topic and focus on introducing my bag-boating interests. In the last few years I have purchased a couple of inflatable kayaks, and I have remained active and enthusiastic as a paddler. Two years ago I started up an online "Meetup" group here in Melbourne called the "Melbourne Folding/Inflatable Kayak Adventurers", and have since organised and participated in more than 30 group paddling trips here in the Melbourne area. Maybe 10 of those trips have been multi-day expeditions on the Goulburn River, Murray River or Glenelg River. Most of our paddlers have inflatable boats - easily more than 90 percent. I believe this trend is one of the main reasons folding boat sales are declining. As great as Folding boats are (I prefer paddling my Citibot rather than my inflatables), the inflatable boats are cheaper, lighter and more compact. This may be one of the main reasons for the apparent decline in the sales of folding kayaks. I might talk more about that later too. For now, I will wind this message up by saying thanks to those who kindly run this forum, and thanks for allowing me to join you! Regards, Tim.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:25 am 
faltbootemeister

Welcome Tim!

Sounds like you're doing your part to keep folders relevant. I'm sure you have, or will have, much to say on the subject, including some interesting trip reports. Keep in touch!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:26 am 
paddler

Hi Jeremiah

Your welcome is appreciated. I see that you're in Virginia. I have briefly visited your state some 8 years ago, but unfortunately the visit was too brief to see or try any paddling on the Potomac River! I suppose it's getting warmer over there at the moment, so I hope you have been able to get out in your Kahuna. :)

Regards,
Tim in Oz.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:27 am 
paddler

Hi Tim,

I'm in Melbourne too - down Frankston way. I don't have a folder, but I'm planning on making one sometime soon-ish, along the lines of the Victoria Patagonica (a DIY Klepper copy).

Cheers,

Anthony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:54 am 
paddler

Ha, just noticed that you responded to my other post. I'm definitely interested in the meetup (https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Melbourne-folding-inflatable-kayak-adventurers/) and kayaking, and your pictures look great (http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1925). I'll have to get my skates on building now :)

Post subject: Re: decline of folders
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 pm 
faltbootemeister

I just bought a Citibot for a very good price (including a $410 Werner paddle.) I explained to the seller who the competition was for the Citibot. Just a few miles away at Walmart are molded plastic boats 10' to 15'. They appeal to the novice. They have cup holders, rod holder, six-pack holders, self bailing (what they call it), comfortable easy adjust seats, weigh about the same, are unsinkable and cost $160 to $450 US dollars new. I watched a family buy two and the Thule rack to carry them at Dick's sporting goods a few weeks ago. They had less than $1000 invested. People are renting these at $40 for three hours. why pay $1200 for a Citibot new? The only real advantage
is the Citibot will go in checked luggage at the airport. How many people want to do that? I do overnight or several week trips with my folders but again, I am an exception. People want cheap, low tech, simple, disposable. Look at all the paddle boards.
That's my take on the decline of the folding kayak.