Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:45 pm 
forum fan

Hi, I'm a new user. I have a little experience with kayaking, but no kayak at this time. My only boat is a Hobie 18 which is fun, but not for confined space.
Arizona has small lakes and few rivers. I'm looking for a small kayak suitable for these and have been looking at folding or inflatable kayaks. I don't need another trailer, and it would be nice not to have to load something heavy on the roof. So, one of the things I'm looking for in this group is ideas for a suitable boat for my wife and I.

Brett

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:52 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome Brett!

It would help us in making suggestions if you could clarify whether you are looking for a tandem folder ("divorce kayak" :D ) or two singles

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:01 am 
forum fan

We paddle ok together, and I know that separately, she gets tired quickly and I'd end up paddling by myself while she returned to shore. So, I'm leaning towards a tandem.
We've rented several boats, and one thing neither one of us like is a wide, flat-bottomed boat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Feathercraft, Folbot, Klepper, LongHaul, Nautiraid, Pakboats and Pouch all make or used to make floding tandems, some with wooden some with aluminum frames. Second hand ones come up quite often for sale it seems. The lightest and narrowest is the Pakboats XT-17 tandem, if you can find one

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 pm 
forum fan

I have looked at many of these. Youtube helps when you don't have any dealers in town. I have not seen Pakboats before. I was unable to get much info off their site, so went to youtube. I see XT15 and XT16, no XT17 yet. If the frame assembly is similar to the shorter ones, this would be of interest. I also like the looks of the Nautiraid, and Feathercraft (now defunct).
I'd like to see these in person before buying.
It's interesting that Pakboats is $1000 cheaper than the competition. Is there a reason for this? Materials look comparable.

Brett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:54 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

http://pakboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99&Itemid=148

Scroll down to see the xt17

Pakboats use a simpler construction technique and lass expensive hull material than some other makes, but the XT series have a solid reputation for being overbuilt- they even made and raced a 21 foot prototype double using the same construction technique. I'd love to know where that is now...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I own 2 Pakboats myself and my ex boyfriend had the XT-15, which I just sold for him (he apparently doesn't kayak as often since I broke up with him.) Pakboats are very well made and an excellent value.

For the kind of paddling you are describing, you might be happy with their Puffin Saranac, which is very easy to set up and a bit lighter than the XT models. Like the XT-17 it can be paddled solo or tandem by moving the seats. Since you will be in a warm climate, you have the option of paddling the Saranac as an open boat without the deck, or with a single or tandem deck.

The XT and Quest models have a more rigid frame and are designed more along sea kayak lines for use in coastal and rough waters as well as lakes and rivers. I have a 12' Puffin solo (like the current Saco model) that I use for quiet waters and short day trips and a 13.5' Quest that is capable of taking out in more challenging conditions, like the Great Lakes and open ocean.

Pakboat is a small company that doesn't spend much on marketing which is likely why you haven't hear of them and as you probably noticed from their very basic website. Though they are located in New Hampshire, they make more sales in Europe and Asia (the owner, Alv, is originally from Norway.) But they make great boats and are very easy to deal with -- best way to contact them is through an email or phone call during business hours (leave a message if no one is available and they will get back to you). They can help you with any questions about model selection. They can ship the boats anywhere.

There are some well-regarded inflatables that have become available, like the Sea Eagle Razorlite models. But the problem you might have with those in big lakes in Arizona would be wind. Folders are better in windy conditions than most inflatables.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm 
forum fan

Thanks for all the replies!