Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 am 
recent arrival

Dear Forum
I have a Folbot Super TSK (non folding) which my parents assembled from a kit in 1967 in Toronto. It has been stored in their garage for the last twenty years and needs some care and attention. We had great fun using it growing up in Canada and then on Loch Lomond when we moved to Scotland. I now live in NE Scotland and would really like to get the Folbot back on the water. It is in better nick than I am considering its age.

I would really appreciate if anyone can advise on what cement/glue to use to patch the hull, what wax to use on the decking and hull, and the best ways to brace the snapped lower longeron.

I have the original assembly instructions and sales notice - they bought it for $125 Canadian dollars- I will scan and post these later.

However there isn't much detail on what the cover is made of. The deck is vinyl coated and the hull double skinned vinyl? The longeron is 1 inch birch.

The maintenance instructions say to wash the deck and hull with soap and water and then wax them- they also say to wax the woodwork. Could anyone advise on what they mean by 'wax'?

I have some of the original fabric and so I can patch the hull- but what cement/glue should I use?

Finally any advice on fixing the snapped longeron?

I attach a few photos and would really appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks
Valerie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:58 pm 
faltbootemeister

FolbotMoray wrote:
I would really appreciate if anyone can advise on what cement/glue to use to patch the hull, what wax to use on the decking and hull, and the best ways to brace the snapped lower longeron.

I have the original assembly instructions and sales notice - they bought it for $125 Canadian dollars- I will scan and post these later.

That would be great. We'd love to see that.

Quote:
However there isn't much detail on what the cover is made of. The deck is vinyl coated and the hull double skinned vinyl? The longeron is 1 inch birch.

I don't think the deck has any vinyl on it. I'm not positive. Others may help here.
Yes the hull is double vinyl. When constructing the boat, the two layers of vinyl were cemented together, fuzzy sides in.

Quote:
The maintenance instructions say to wash the deck and hull with soap and water and then wax them- they also say to wax the woodwork. Could anyone advise on what they mean by 'wax'?

Wax has gone out of style but you can still find it in woodworking shops. Are the wooden parts not finished with varnish? I'm surprised they would recommend wax on varnish. Whatever. Maybe try carnauba wax from the auto parts store?

Quote:
I have some of the original fabric and so I can patch the hull- but what cement/glue should I use?

For the hull, any vinyl cement would work though it would be good to determine if it's waterproof. Again, auto parts stores will have vinyl repair kits. I believe Shore Cement would also work. It's a contact cement, not a simple glue.
The deck is probably cotton with some kind of waterproofing. I don't know what to recommend there. Need some help from other members.

Quote:
Finally any advice on fixing the snapped longeron?

You can simply scab (or scarf) a piece of wood to the broken part using waterproof wood glue and small brass screws.

It's great to hear of another old, old Folbot being resurrected and on the water. Good luck.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to help.