Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:34 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi
I bought a Folbot Aleut on craigslist, tried it yesterday for the first time, and I love it.
I am a lifelong boater, my dad built a canoe when I was four. We always had boats after that, then I joined the USCG for six years. When I got out I built a sailing dinghy, then bought progressively larger boats. While I love my ketch, the most fun is truly had in small boats. I have been aware of folding kayaks for many years, and remember the downtown NYC store vaguely. I'm not a new paddler, I have a 15' ultralight double paddle canoe and an inexpensive inflatable kayak for traveling. I need a traveling boat to keep me sane when we fly somewhere near the water. The inflatable was okay, but I wanted better. I finally found a great deal on a well used Aleut. Yesterday I brought it to the beach and assembled it with the help of two eight year old girls. We had no instructions, but it isn't too hard. Other bathers were interested and stopped to ask questions. Then I launched and paddled off while the girls cheered. I was so happy I almost laughed. I don't know the vintage of the boat, the hull is black, the deck very faded tan. The frames are plastic, with locking hinged sections to stretch the skin.
I sail my other canoe, and I'm already thinking about sailing this one.
I'm happy to have this boat, happy to find this forum.
-John

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:28 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome John, sounds like you have discovered, as many have, a very satisfying way to feed an obsession with water and small boats. Congrats on your "new" Aleut!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:31 am 
forum fanatic

Thank you G. Your list shows that we share an affliction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:32 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi John,

Where on Long Island are you? I know of some great launch areas around Riverhead (Peconic River area).

Happy Paddling,

Harold

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:00 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi Harold. I'm in Rocky Point, not too far. I have used the Birch Creek Rd launch for my Melonseed, done a couple of stretches in the Peconic, Forge, Nissequage and Connetquot. Mount Sinai Harbor is great at high tide. I would be happy to hear any recommendations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:24 am 
forum fanatic

Hi John,

I also just bought a Craigslist Aleut a couple of weeks ago. Pretty slow compared the single folder I used to have, but soooo lightweight and quick to assemble by comparison. Bummer the company's shut down; I feel guilty for not buying a new kayak from them, now - like maybe they'd still be in business if I wasn't such a low-budget paddler.

Any pictures from your sea voyage?

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:45 am 
forum fanatic

My wife took a couple. I'll see if I can get them up. Not having any experience with the boat, I did not properly install the coamings or inflate the sponsons, so she's riding a little low. Also I weigh 235.
Maybe we should have bought new, though I'm not sure our two purchases would have kept the company afloat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:14 pm 
faltbootemeister

Welcome to yet another Folbot owner.
Glad you're enjoying your Aleut.
If you need instructions, the latest version is here:
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.co.nf/folbot/N ... nuals.html
There are minor differences from the older boats but you'll get the idea and can adapt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks Flat, I'll read it.