Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:01 am 
recent arrival

20 years ago I lived in an apartment in Chicago near Belmont Harbor. I saw ads in various magazines for folding kayaks and thought that would be just the thing for me, but wound up buying a sailboat instead. Apparently, a lot has happened since then. Good things for me, but not so good for the folding kayak world. A week ago I bought a Folbot Greenland II though and even if only going to the local purveyor of frozen treats, adventure awaits.

My daughter and I testing the downwind sail going 4 miles to the place that sells ice cream next to the boat ramp:

Something I picked up today:

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:21 pm 
forum fanatic

Welcome to the world of folding kayaks. Our offices are located next door to those of the Flat Earth Society, but we're proud to assert that our membership is declining at a much slower rate than theirs. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photo of the downwind sailing with your daughter in the G2. What Feathercraft model did you purchase? Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:48 pm 
forum fanatic

Love the pic, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:03 pm 
recent arrival

The Feathercraft is a 1998 K1 and in fantastic condition. I bought it from the original owner. I just turned the hull inside out, hosed it, scrubbed it, and it's drying now. In about a half hour, I'll put it back together and go for a spin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:15 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Congratulations on acquiring one of the best folding kayak models ever made in that K-1 (though not the easiest to assemble.)

As the owner of 3 Feathercrafts since 2002 (including a 1996 K-1) let me offer some advice:

1. Make sure that you lubricate ALL the frame connections in that Feathercraft when assembling it unless you plan to take it apart again soon. I got the K-1 cheap because the original owner of mine had not done that and two of the longerons were corroded together (separating them is difficult and often impossible.) It cost a couple of hundred dollars to get them replaced and now that Feathercraft has closed up shop as of last year you will no longer have that option. Best product is BoeShield T-9 in the dropper bottle (the spray can is messy). It is available in most better bike shops. The lubricant was developed for use in aircraft components ("Boe" as in "Boeing") so it is formulated to not degrade rubber and other insulation materials. Lubrication is not as critical in fresh water but is absolutely critical in salt water use.

Also, wipe off the frame connection with a rag before lubrication and assembly -- getting sand grains or other debris inside the connections can also make disassembly problematic.

2. Be sure to release the valves in the sponson tubes when the kayak is out of the water on any warm and/or sunny day. Heat expansion can cause them to blow out a seam. This can be fixed but it is a pain in the butt since you have to invert the skin (and you have already experienced that project). I failed to tend to that with my first FC (a Kahuna) so I know the process well. If you do have to remove a sponson to repair it (as you may find when you set it up if the prior owner was careless), be sure to tie a string to the grommet on one end before pulling it out of the other end of the sleeve so you have a means to pull the repaired one back in.

I just got a good deal myself on two Pakboat folding kayaks from a couple who had barely used them. I found when I set the boats up for the first time that they had managed to blow out BOTH sponsons on BOTH boats, so I am in the process of repairing them. I imagine that they blew them up to maximum pressure the first time they used the boats and left them in the sun or on a roof rack, then had no clue how to fix them and just stored the boats for 7 years until deciding to sell them.

3. If you plan to fly with your Feathercraft checked as luggage, get a 4 piece paddle that will fit in the backpack. Cannon makes some nice carbon composite 4 piece paddles for a reasonable price. Airkayaks.com usually has factory blemished ones for sale for a decent discount -- I have one of these: https://www.airkayaks.com/sale-cannon-w ... dle-230cm/

Enjoy your new boats!

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15