Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:49 pm 
paddler

Hello everybody. My name is Steve and I live in Glendora, CA. My wife Suzie and I used to paddle our Super together while we camped at Little Harbor on the back side of Catalina Island every summer. We also enjoyed paddling at Pt. Fermin and in the Back Bay at Newport. All pretty tame, I know, but we sure had a good time. We later picked up a used Greenland II. About 7 years ago she became too ill to go out paddling, and I sold the Super. I've regretted selling it ever since. Anyway, last week I found a beat up old Super and picked it up to restore. It's mostly complete and even has the sailing rig. I'm glad I found this site.

Cheers!

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 am 
forum fanatic

I'm glad you found the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:09 pm 
forum fanatic

Hey Steve,

Welcome! I used to date a young woman from Glendora - almost 30 years ago, now. I grew up in San Pedro and Palos Verdes so am very familiar with Point Fermin. I understand a longish stretch of Paseo del Mar collapsed a few years ago.

Cheers,

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:52 pm 
faltbootemeister

Welcome.
I hope you enjoy bringing that old Super back to life.
Pictures of your progress would be fun to see.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:13 pm 
paddler

Thanks for the welcome, John, Chris, and Flatwater.

Chris, I had no idea about Paseo del Mar collapsing. We used to go spearfishing a little ways off that road at Christmas Tree Cove and further up at Flat Rock Point. Great fun.

I'll try to post a photo soon.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:25 pm 
paddler

Here's the old Super I found. It needs considerable work. It has several delaminated frames, some bent longerons, a bent cockpit washboard, and is missing the metal fitting from the right rear corner of the cockpit, as well as the latches for attaching the frames to the washboards. The old owner said he and his kids took it camping and laid the sail out to dry while they enjoyed the campfire. A gust of wind blew the sail onto the fire where it was immediately burned up. It seems that they took the boat apart, threw it into the car and took it home and put it outside without cleaning it. It sat there in the driveway in a pile for many years. It is absolutely filthy, covered with soot and grime. Still, I think there's a useable boat under there...after a good deal of work.

Attachment:
folbot.jpg

Attachment:
folbot2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:34 am 
forum fanatic

Supers turn up periodically on Craigslist, so you might find one cheap enough to purchase for spare parts.

I never did diving or spear fishing, but used to surf farther up the coast at Bluff Cove, Rat and Torrance beaches quite a bit when I was a kid. Never did like surfing Cabrillo or Royal Palms. Used to sneak in at the private beach next to Abalone Cove a lot.

Cheers,

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 am 
paddler

Hi Chris,
I've never surfed Palos Verdes, or RAT or Torrance either, for that matter. We did spearfish on the outside of King Harbor breakwater a lot. Great place for sand bass. My first time snorkling in the ocean was at Abalone Cove back in the early 70s. There were actually abalone there back then.

Did you ever kayak at Malaga Cove? Suzie and I had some fun days there. Put in at Malaga and head south past Haggertys and Flat Rock, down past Margate and back.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:20 am 
forum fanatic

I never kayaked when I lived in SoCal. I recall that those of us who surfed sometimes felt annoyed by sea kayakers putting in near where we paddled out. I thought all that gear was ridiculous when the real fun was to be had in the water. That was all 30 plus years ago. Interesting how one's perceptions about a place are influenced by one's recreational interests. All I can remember about Malaga Cove is the Mission Revival shopping center that used to be there on PV Drive (which point of the compass I no longer recall). I now wish I'd had a kayak as a teenager. My only real kayaking experience was during a middle school trip to Toyon at the isthmus on Catalina - clumsy round-bodied fiberglass kayaks that were old even then - I had difficulty remaining upright and hated the experience. Probably in part why I resented the kayakers when surfing, because I hadn't been able to very well manage even the basics of what they were doing.