Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 am 
forum fan

Hi,

Did a fair bit of canoeing when I was a kid. Have been wanting to get involved in kayaking for years, but have only just got round to it now I’m 42. Its been over 30 since I paddled so I’m going to start from scratch. Have booked my BC 1 Star for April and hoping to do my BC 2 Star in the Summer with lots of paddling in between. I’m here because owning a rigid boat just isn't an option and I’m fascinated by foldable kayak designs. Thanks for having me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:59 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Greetings! There are a few UK members on here, including myself. Folders seem pretty rare in the UK compared to hard shells, though they were once more popular. If you keep your eyes out, you might find second-hand Tynes and Grantas--though they usually need new skins--as well as the Kleppers and other makes that are still produced. Like you, I love the engineering of a good folder.
Happy paddling!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:56 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Welcome aboard. If you can buy new, it helps the manufacturers. A new boat, when it is realized will last a lifetime for the wooden frame if looked after, and the skin will last about 25 years, along the way some patching will be required. Folders can be used on lakes, rivers and in the sea. You can add sails and outboard motors (this can be a bit challenging) I bought my first Klepper in 1976, still have it with a new skin and two more folders ,plus two hard shells. Now 80 and still paddling. A good book to buy is COMPLETE FOLDING KAYAKER by Ralph Diaz, try amazon. See on the water in the future if you come over to the Scillies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:09 am 
forum fan

Thanks for the welcome idc and John, appreciated. idc I will take note and investigate the Tynes and Grantas. John, I’ve never been to the Isles, but my Grandparents used to visit quite a bit. They must be heaven from a paddling point of view. Will look for Diaz’s book.