Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from New Hampshire
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:31 pm 
paddler

I've always loved the lines of kayaks, especially sea kayaks, but spent most of my life offshore fishing for tuna. Now at my advanced age, I've sold the tuna boat and have been looking for something to fish with inshore, and on our lakes. I don't like being enclosed, plus i don't really fit in a hard shell, so wasn't sure what to do. I never knew about folders, until a friend told me about his folbot G2, and his super's. He said he paddled his folbot super 12nm offshore to whale watch. Then slept on the boat overnight tied to a bouy. Between that and Gail Ferris' arctic exploits, i realized these are the boats for me. I decided on a long haul mk2, and as mentioned on the forum, Mark and company have been extremely helpful. The boat should be here by the end of March. As soon as it shows up and the ice has gone out, i', going to do some land locked salmon fishing on the big lake.

thanks for having me
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the Forum.

Make sure you read the article on the main pages on how to assemble kayaks quickly. Mark has a video of him casually assembling a Mark II, complete with rudder and spray deck, in 17 minutes. The key is doing it exactly the same way every time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

From what I seen in this forum and photos, you have probably bought the best boat of it,s type that is available. Unfortunatly I have never seen one close up but it should last you a lifetime as long as you look after it by not putting it away wet. It will do all you ask it and use it every year for many years to come, good to see you bought from Long haul. We hope to hear from you about your fishing, you can now get to places other boats can,t.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:21 am 
paddler

Hi Mike, and thank you. Yes, I've watched Mark's video, very impressive. Like you said, casually explaining and putting it together in no time. I plan on spending some time in the backyard practicing assembling and dissasembling before heading to the lake.

Hi John. This forum was very helpful in my decision on long haul. Altho I love old gear, sometimes I fish a 1929sh bamboo rod and reel, for something like a boat I want to make sure I have something that i feel secure in. Plus I like the ability to call Mark et. al. directly to ask questions, get new parts, have the boat modified, etc. Very excited to use the boat.

Also, I picked up Ralph Diaz's book 2nd edition. Very helpful.

thanks and looking forward to any input from the forum on kayaking.
best
Joe