Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello Everybody!
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 pm 
recent arrival

Hello everyone,

I'm Adam. I live in northern CA and am new to paddling. I've been sea kayaking many times over the years but never owned a kayak. I'm actually a long distance backpacker with 20,000 miles of US trails behind me.
I was recently given a 1971 Klepper Classic Aerius by a new friend who had put 5000 arctic river miles on it. When I set it up, the hull leaked a ton....it was really beyond repair. So...his friend of 40 years decided to give me his hull to go with the first boat...thinking I'd have what I needed.

When I built the boat with the second hull...the hull split...and a very big hole developed.

The friends want me to use parts of the bad hull to patch the newer hull...but are afraid that the integrity of the older haul might make it so the patches don't do their job. The company [url]https://www.nrs.com/product/1904/clifton-hypalon-adhesive-fa-4844 that makes the glue has it on back-order so I though that while I wait I would get some info from the wise ones here.

Think fixing it is worth the try with an investment of about $60 in glue and a wait time of about a month?

Think that Gerald Grace's hull (I've been talking to him a bit) at $1600 instead of Klepper's $2300 is solid enough in it's quality to go that direction if I can figure out a way to come up with the cash?

Really excited to get the boat out into the water and just trying to determine if the effort to fix is moot and if the price to replace is something I could/should do.

Thanks all and looking forward to hearing what others think!!
:)

PS. Two of the pictures are from the first hull...with too many tears to repair. The other picture is of the huge hole in hull #2...if they attached

Post subject: Re: Hello Everybody!
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

I’m not certain, but I think 1971 is before Klepper switched from rubber to hypalon. If that’s a rubber-on-canvas hull, Clifton will not work, and the fabric inside may be rotting. Long Haul can sew a new Hypalon hull on to the canvas deck.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:43 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome asalinger,

The pics you referenced did not make the trip on my message string but, in any case, it really sounds like the hulls are beyond repair. If that is true, then you have several options for a replacement. Is your Klepper a single? If so, they are harder to find used but they do come up through ebay and craigslist. If you boat is a double then they come up frequently and you can find one in decent shape for about $1,000. In either case good luck, sounds like you should be on the water!

g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:42 am 
recent arrival

I wasn't able to see your pics but if you are looking for a double Klepper hull I have one that might work for you.

Here are some pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kk6vwl5wvi02 ... vhcVa?dl=0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:22 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Unless you have a sentimental attachment to the Aerius, it may be more economical (and practical) to buy a newer used folding tandem. There is a Folbot Greenland tandem of more recent vintage for sale near me (Pittsburgh, PA) for $900. Looks to be in nice shape. I'm guessing they would sell it for less -- folding kayaks are not big sellers in my neck of the woods (I have sold several over the years myself) and I'm guessing shipping would be around $150 for two cartons at about 35 lbs each. The Greenland tandems of this era weigh around 62 pounds. There is a similar one for sale on Ebay in Anacortes, WA, right now for over $2,000 so this is a really good deal (I'll link to that ad too so you can read the specs on the Greenland II). Cheaper than a new skin for the Klepper.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/d ... 47931.html

If you want to consider that option I would be willing to arrange to check out the boat for you if you contact the seller -- he/she lives not far from me. Since they admit to having paddled it in the Bahamas I would want to check that it does not have saltwater damage in the frame components.

Here is the Ebay ad for the one in Washington for comparison:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Folbot-Greenla ... 3841011930

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15