Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for LIGHT WEIGHT
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:12 pm 
recent arrival

My first impression is that this is a great forum. I'm a senior with several years of recreational/fishing fiberglass/plastic yak use. Location is Naples FL on the SW Florida Gulf coast. I'm looking for light weight but also somewhat durable as beaching is sometimes over oyster shells & coarse sand, etc.
I'm pretty flexible on price but it will have to be approved by the war department (wife). :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:45 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome to the forum!

It'd help if you tell us what size kayak you are interested in and your intended use.
I don't think you'll be wanting to take any folding kayak over oyster beds, but if you have no choice, then the solution (keel strips and heavy duty hull material) won't be lightweight , at least not by folding kayak standards. The alternative is to carry your kayak over oyster beds etc, and with some folding kayaks weighing in the 15 kg range, as long as you don’t load them too heavily with fishing gear etc, then this is a real possibility.

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Wanted:original Advanced Elements Air Fusion
Cape Falcon F1. Beth, Hobie AI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 am 
recent arrival

Thanks for the response Simon and thanks also to the Mod/Admin for approving my 1st post. I'm a bit on the hefty side @ 5' 10" & 225 lbs and use a kayak for day trips and fishing. I will become an octogenarian in a couple of months and even though I exercise regularly bike, kayak, & walk I have lost strength and sold my last kayak because of the loading and carrying task.

I can avoid the oyster beds as I did when I babied my fiberglass Kaskazi Dorado II which was nearly flawless after 3 years of use.

Pakboats are very appealing weight wise and the somewhat long/complicated assemble would not have to be accomplished very often in my case as I would leave it garage stored fully assembled (if an accepted practice) and ready for rooftop transportation on a SUV.
Saco, Saranac, or Quest 150 are all appealing but the 285# Capacity on the Saco & Quest is borderline IMO and I would be interested in other opinions especially from larger paddlers.

Thanks again,
Ralph

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:55 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Ralph,

Pakboats assembly is easier than most in my experience

If you plan on leaving amy aluminum framed kayak assembled after use in salt water, make sure you use lots of T9 Boeshield on the joints to stop them corroding and fusing together.

I don't weigh as much as you do but would have thought that 60 lb of equipment is more than you are ever going to take with you on days trips (I'd trust Pakboats payload estimates - they've been doing expedition canoes for a long time and I'm sure they know what they are talking about for maximum capacities.

Hope this helps

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Wanted:original Advanced Elements Air Fusion
Cape Falcon F1. Beth, Hobie AI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:45 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi Ralph,

I’m also an ancient mariner, now in my 78th year on this lovely planet and such things as weight, comfort and ease of use have become increasingly important considerations. I acquired my Feathercraft Kurrent to have something to paddle during winters on Florida’s Gulf Coast. It weighs just 31 pounds, the lightest kayak I’ve yet to own, and light boats get used more often or, at least, I find that to be so as I get older and much less enthusiastic about lifting a boat onto the roof rack of the Forester. I’m a careful paddler and keep an eye out for oyster shoals but as someone said, there are two kinds of paddlers down in Florida, those who have run up on an oyster bed and those who haven’t yet run up on an oyster bed. You might also consider one of the Oru boats which are claimed to be resistant to puncture. I don’t think that there is any folder or inflatable that can survive such an encounter without significant damage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:51 am 
recent arrival

siravingmon wrote:
Hi Ralph,

Pakboats assembly is easier than most in my experience

If you plan on leaving amy aluminum framed kayak assembled after use in salt water, make sure you use lots of T9 Boeshield on the joints to stop them corroding and fusing together.

I don't weigh as much as you do but would have thought that 60 lb of equipment is more than you are ever going to take with you on days trips (I'd trust Pakboats payload estimates - they've been doing expedition canoes for a long time and I'm sure they know what they are talking about for maximum capacities.

Hope this helps

Much help.. Thanks Simon. T9 is good and necessary for saltwater users. Also Max capacity comment is reassuring as I know that some builders are known to exaggerate :(
I'm still researching and also considering inflatables as they appear much improved recently.

Thanks again

PS: Due to a family members illness I may be off line for awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 am 
recent arrival

Jake wrote:
Hi Ralph,

I’m also an ancient mariner, now in my 78th year on this lovely planet and such things as weight, comfort and ease of use have become increasingly important considerations. I acquired my Feathercraft Kurrent to have something to paddle during winters on Florida’s Gulf Coast. It weighs just 31 pounds, the lightest kayak I’ve yet to own, and light boats get used more often or, at least, I find that to be so as I get older and much less enthusiastic about lifting a boat onto the roof rack of the Forester. I’m a careful paddler and keep an eye out for oyster shoals but as someone said, there are two kinds of paddlers down in Florida, those who have run up on an oyster bed and those who haven’t yet run up on an oyster bed. You might also consider one of the Oru boats which are claimed to be resistant to puncture. I don’t think that there is any folder or inflatable that can survive such an encounter without significant damage.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking seriously at Feathercraft and Kurrent in particular when I read the bad news about them closing down. I also agree with you about weight being a major factor in how often a boat is used.

Oyster beds are the enemy and like you I don't recall ever running onto one(not for the lack of opportunities) I probably shouldn't have mentioned them in my OP.

Thanks again,
Ralph

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:06 pm 
recent arrival

Ralph,

Not many folders are light and durable, but with keel strips they do stand a lot of abuse.

Used to paddle a lot, years ago, but with increasing age (still a youngster compared to you), done it less and less!

Tord

PS Had missed the Feathercraft closure!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:24 pm 
faltbootemeister

There are also other very light boats, you might look into Geodesic Airolite or other skin on frame rigid boats.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:21 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hornbeck Boats and Placid Boat Works, both iin New York, make very light double paddle canoes but, of course, these are not folders. Pakboat is going to be your best bet for a well crafted, light weight folder at a very reasonable cost and the company is still in business, a big plus if you need to replace a damaged part. Hoorah and long live Pakboat