Hello from old kayaker/new member

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Blueflash
paddler

Hello from old kayaker/new member

Post by Blueflash »

Been kayaking since 2004. Prefer big river long distance kayamping. Completed Mississippi Rvr from Lake Itasca to Mile Zero in 2009, Atchafalaya Rvr from Simmsport to Morgan City in 2015, and Yellowstone Rvr from Gardiner,Mt to Williston,ND in 2019. Still using old faithful Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 (plastic). 70 yrs old now and finding getting out of the small Tempest cockpit more of a challenge. Looking at a 17ft Folbot two seater and hoping to learn more about them.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Hello from old kayaker/new member

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

Welcome! Another 70 year old here. Besides the more generous access to most folders, they are half the weight or less of rigid boats, another plus for those of us getting up there.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

Welcome aboard!
Which Folbot are you considering?

Jake

Post by Jake »

Welcome Blueflash. Now we’ll into my 79th year I find that I have entered the realm of the Ancient Mariner. Lightweight, portability, comfort, ease of assembly are now priorities. There was a time when I thought that a kayak less than 17 feet was on the short end but now I think that a boat longer than 14’ (well, maybe 14.5😊) just takes up too much garage space. And, what’s even more, in addition to what KerryOnKayaks said, I’ve found that shorter boats with less wetted surface seem easier to paddle. I still paddle hard shells but if I had to do with only a single cockleshell, it would be a folder.

Bob1nLR
paddler

Post by Bob1nLR »

I just joined the forum, 62 yrs young, I kayaked some in Alaska always with hardshells, but have been in Arkansas for last 10 years and finally decided I was wasting my opportunity. Where I live now I could put a lightweight folder on my shoulder and walk to the Arkansas River. I may try some big river tripping myself, I just took a plunge on a new Pakboat Quest 150 (site promised three year warranty), so want to encourage keeping that company going. What interested me is that the top skin can be removed and the boat used like an open canoe. I might explore the opportunity for a homemade uncoated canvas cover (like Kleppers) for summer/southern latitude use, I've heard an uncoated canvas top ala Klepper rides very nice and cool. Will read with interest your experiences. Bob from Little Rock
Quest 150
Last boat: Easyrider Dolphin

Blueflash
paddler

Post by Blueflash »

Thanks for all the replys. I am considering a vintage 1971 17ft two person Folbot. Wanted to know the weight before I make the drive to see it. My ole Tempest weighs approx 70lbs, don't want anything heavier but the roomy cockpit is a big plus. Any ideas where I can find the exact weight? The owner doesn't know.

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

I own a rigid 17.5' Super from the early '70s. Mine is kit built, and probably weighs 60-70 lbs. I found that number online, and I guess it's about right.

Blueflash
paddler

Post by Blueflash »

As a total newbee to Folbots, what should I look for when I am checking out this 1971 model 17ft two seater tomorrow? Seller says everything is original. Looks good in pics. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

jordan15
recent arrival

Post by jordan15 »

I just joined the forum, 27 years young, I kayaked some in Alaska always with hardshells, but have been in Arkansas for last 10 years and finally decided I was wasting my opportunity. Where I live now I could put a lightweight folder on my shoulder and walk to the Arkansas River. I may try some big river tripping myself, I just took a plunge on a new Pakboat Quest 150 (site promised three year warranty), so want to encourage keeping that company going. What interested me is that the top skin can be removed and the boat used like an open canoe. I might explore the opportunity for a homemade undercoated canvas cover (like Kleppers) for summer/southern latitude use, I've heard an uncoated canvas top ala Klepper rides very nice and cool. Will read with interest your experiences. Bob from Little Rock
[url= https://eta-govt.com/sri-lanka-visa-for-indians/ ] Sri Lanka visa for Indians[/url] is as easy as blink of an eye and will take 3-6 minutes to get sri lanka visa.

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

Welcome aboard Bob!
Enjoy your boat and keep us posted.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Blueflash wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:18 pm
Been kayaking since 2004. Prefer big river long distance kayamping. Completed Mississippi Rvr from Lake Itasca to Mile Zero in 2009, Atchafalaya Rvr from Simmsport to Morgan City in 2015, and Yellowstone Rvr from Gardiner,Mt to Williston,ND in 2019. Still using old faithful Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 (plastic). 70 yrs old now and finding getting out of the small Tempest cockpit more of a challenge. Looking at a 17ft Folbot two seater and hoping to learn more about them.
One thing that you might find helpful in getting up out of the cockpit is a "standing strap". Attach a strap from the bow or forward frames of the kayak running back to you are sitting. You can use this to get something solid to grab on and pull on when standing up. It's sometimes easier then lifting your self up out of the seat by your arms alone. Just make sure it is secure in that it will not pull out because you are putting your weight on it and none of us need to fall backwards at our age!
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Return to “Introductions”