Intro

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

packetfire
recent arrival

Intro

Post by packetfire »

I am a new east-coast member, and I constantly borrowed another sailor's folding kayak, as he sailed his boat on a few weekends a year, was my neighbor at the Los Olas municipal docks in Ft. Lauderdale, and I was a live-aboard, so my dog was the core of his security system.

I never folded the thing, as I feared not being able to assemble all the parts. It was a Folbot, I do not recall the model, as this was roughly 40 years ago. It stay assembled, stored inside, rigged to his cabin ceiling, or sat on my deck when I took it with me.

I am much older now, the sailboat is long since sold, and I am looking to get a Kayak, but I am still clueless, other than knowing how to paddle.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Intro

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

There are much fewer makers of new folders now since Folbot and Feathercraft closed up shop about 5 years ago. But if you describe where and how you might be intending to paddle, your budget and a little about yourself (location, size, expertise) you could get some good advice and feedback on here about both what is available new and what you might want to search for used. There has been a recent surge in used folders showing up for sale, I suspect because pandemic layoffs have driven people both to clean out basements and garages and to offer things they don't use much to raise cash.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

Welcome aboard! You'll find one with patience and persistence. Good luck, keep us posted.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

I've got 3 folbots in storage out off University Ave in Davie. Unfortunately, I am up in Maine right now for the summer so no use to you!

Wolf Lake Park out on SW 76th Ave, between Griffin and Stirling is a nice sheltered lake with shade trees is a good place to start paddling, but your on the water and there are so many places to get wet down there the options are endless.

Check Craigslists often as there was a really nice Gll for sale out in Fort Meyers last month. The boats are there if you have patience for searching!

Check Sailyourkayak.com as there is a Folbot product page with a link to a really good "Folbot" page with lots of info and you can find the manuals for each model on there.
Let me cheat and give you the Folbot page:
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.epizy.com/folb ... t.html?i=1
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Return to “Introductions”