Hello from the Sacramento Valley

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Andan
forum fan

Hello from the Sacramento Valley

Post by Andan »

My dad built a Super back in the 1960s and we had a lot of fun with it. I learned to sail in San Diego and spent a lot of time with the Folbot after returning to Butte County in 1978. It was damaged shortly before I moved again, and my late brother took it intending to rebuild it. Never happened, and it would be a bigger job than I want to take it on now. We've taken some picnics to nearby mountain lakes during the Covid shutdown, with nothing to do once we got there. It made me nostalgic for the Folbot, so I started looking on eBay. Either too nice and pricey or too far away. Then I spotted a Greenland II at Lake Tahoe and made the winning bid. I still have the mast, lateen sail, and leeboards from my dad's boat, but the rest of the rig is gone. If I can't find parts, I'll have to make replacements for the big crossboard and the boom/gaff assembly. I'll post a message to look for the parts. So glad to find a forum like this.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Hello from the Sacramento Valley

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

Welcome! And good luck with your project restoration. The good news is that a lot more people seem to be cleaning out basements and garages with the "stay at home" and lay off situations so I have noticed more parts and vintage boats showing up on various sale sites.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

Welcome aboard!
I have a Folbot Super since May, and sailed it today. My sail rig is largely home built, including the thwart. If you have the old instructions or can find a copy, the drawings are a pretty good guide.

Andan
forum fan

Post by Andan »

I'm finding plenty of useful photos online and have my dad's original instructions, which have a very detailed set of dimensions. I spoke to my brother's widow, and Dad's Super went away years ago. She's checking the garage for the boom/gaff assembly, but it's not looking hopeful.

I've found suitable aluminum tubing online that looks like about $50. It will even be better, as I can make both legs two-piece instead of three. The hinge is just a little block of 1/4" alu set into slots, two bolts for the boom and one for the gaff so it can fold down.

The sail was a replica of the original Folbot item, custom made for Dad by Hogin Sails in Alameda 40 years ago. It's a little smudged but is structurally sound. We laced it to the boom and gaff with light nylon rope through grommets.

What's driving me nuts right now is how to replicate the pickle fork gooseneck that the original had, with a hook on both sides so the boom could be quickly swapped to the lee side of the mast for the new tack while coming about in light air. It makes a noticeable difference when it can fully shape out. The best I can think of so far is carefully splitting a malleable oarlock and clamping the halves on opposite sides. The old Folbot casting looks like a unique bit.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could measure the mast/leeboard crossmember and send me a sketch. It doesn't seem like the dimensions are critical, but I'd like to keep it close to the original geometry.

Finally, I need to refinish the original leeboards, which thankfully still have their OEM bolts. A friend who really taught me how to sail suggested tapering the trailing edges to a knife point for better laminar flow. Any opinions on that? I have to take the belt sander to them anyway for prep. He's a super-knowledgable TransPac crew member from back in the 70s.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

http://jeeps-folbots-etc.epizy.com/folb ... t.html?i=2

You might find some info on this webpage. Good luck with it! The parts are out there on craigslist or eBay, you just need patience.

To search every state on craigslist.
https://www.searchcraigslist.org/
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

Mine doesn't have the pickle fork, just a piece of steel strap bent to fit. I can measure the thwart next time I'm at the boat, but mine is not original.

Return to “Introductions”