A Seattleite splashing around in Utah

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

veejaydee
recent arrival

A Seattleite splashing around in Utah

Post by veejaydee »

Hey folks!

Normally I would be hailing from Seattle, Washington where I fell in love with kayaking on the Puget Sound. Nowadays, I'm spending time with my dad in Utah since he is not well.

For years, I've wanting to get a small, portable kayak that would fit my city lifestyle but I've abstained for various logistical reasons. Coming back to Utah, I rediscovered a family heirloom that I never appreciated before! My great-grandfather's Folbot Kayak (circa 1981, we think) has been sitting -- crusty, dusty and unappreciated -- in my dad's garage for a decade at least. We're very excited to bring her back to life!

The "Denk Jong" is not a foldable kayak (that I can tell); she has a wooden frame and naugahyde skin. As such, I may be an imposter in this folding kayak forum, however I'm hoping to find advice and research resources to assist us in this exciting journey.

Happy paddling everyone!
Victoria

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: A Seattleite splashing around in Utah

Post by JohnSand »

Hello Victoria, welcome aboard!
There is discussion of rigid boats built by folding boat companies here, I have one myself. There is also a Folbot Facebook page, I think someone there just replaced the deck on a rigid Folbot, you might look in.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: A Seattleite splashing around in Utah

Post by Yakadoodle »

Well Congratulations! Good to know some of your family secrets!

You'll find a wealth of info here on this webpage, but you need to go into the links lower down on the page to find history.
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.epizy.com/folb ... t.html?i=2
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Return to “Introductions”