New to me K1. Needs lots of work.

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

WScottVT
recent arrival

New to me K1. Needs lots of work.

Post by WScottVT »

I am an old retired guy from New England. My parents had a Klepper 60 years ago. It never got used much.

I met Doug Simpson at the rocky back beach at a Castine kayak symposium. I was amazed, and sort of put off, by the idea of a sea sock, but I loved the quality, responsiveness and look of the K1 he let me demo.

I rented a big kahuna from the guy who used to FedEx his rentals. I paddled around Eleuthra and used it in Vermont as a toboggan.

I bought a seized big kahuna in 2015.With Doug and Co's help with parts, I got it back to B+ condition. I wish I hadn't sold it.

Yesterday I bought a 2000 K1 for $200. I am beginning to clean and inventory frame parts. The skin looks in good shape. It came without the seasock and spray skirt. I had to cut a chine tube. Several extension bars are munged up by a previous owner's attempts to un-seize them.

The most worrying broken parts are the welded bow and stern tubes and the HDPE pieces attached to them. Both are cracked and bent.

I see from the Feathercraft site that Doug is off paddling. I'll be on the lookout on this forum for used parts and good advice.

Rob
forum fanatic

Re: New to me K1. Needs lots of work.

Post by Rob »

Welcome.

Sounds like a really great price, though clearly a bit of a project there.

Hope you can find/make/fix the parts you need. It is definitely worth the effort.

Keep us posted on your progress. I shall follow your efforts with interest.

Return to “Introductions”