Mandatory Introduction

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

13thRaven
recent arrival

Mandatory Introduction

Post by 13thRaven »

Hello All!
Would you guess I'm new to the forum?!? A little introduction is good for the soul, I started kayaking in '90 @ Monterey Bay, took some classes, played in the surf zone and fell in love with ocean kayaks. Life moved me to NH late '93 and built a (pre-internet) SW Greenland kayak SOF from a VCRtape and explored lakes & slow rivers until moved to AK in 2000. In the Fairbanks area I paddled the Chena River in Fairbanks a few times before the canvas skin failed. About a year ago I found a GII in NV from a woman from AK that sold me hers, my sweetheart had never been in a kayak so this is ours. The Folbot is heavy and stable and just enough for her level of adventure. We enjoy the GII, she is a quick learner and have received an amazing compliment from a docent on an evening paddle in Elk Grove Wildlife Preserve. The docent referred to any double as a "divorce boat" because of the lack of coordination & cooperation yet she watched us slip silently along in harmony with our paddling strokes and maneuvering.
Current stable is the Folbot and a SOAR 16 for now, I want to get back into a single hand built 'yak and the joy of paddling something you built yourself is hard to describe. We are in the Sacramento Area but the rivers are unusable due to water contamination.
If I missed anything please advise

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Mandatory Introduction

Post by JohnSand »

Welcome aboard, great story!
I have built some small boats too, I understand.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: Mandatory Introduction

Post by Yakadoodle »

Welcome!
Here's a recent post about kit plans you might find useful.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8846&p=44730&hilit ... ans#p44730

Also this fellow here:
http://www.gentrycustomboats.com/
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Return to “Introductions”