Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Balough Boss
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:05 pm 
forum fanatic

I have a chance to purchase an older Balough BOSS system. I was told that the attachment of the amas to the akas on the newer system has been improved, and that the older system can detach while sailing. Can anyone shed some light on this and is there a way to secure the system better? Thanks for any input on this.

Post subject: Re: Balough Boss
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:46 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I don't know too much about the older system. But from the pictures I've seen it's got a strut type of mounting system.

I can say that the new system is very nice and simple. It's basically a semi hard rubber strap that fits over the top of the inflatable ama. The rubber is built up on top and has a 'U' shape molded into it for the aka tube to rest inside of. The underside of this 'U' shape is hollowed out a bit so that screws (I don't think they are bolts) attach the mount to the aluminum aka tube. It's simple straightforward and very sturdy. I think there's a greater chance of breaking something up the line, like at the coaming, or simply folding the ama over, before this system would break. Of course it is expensive.

I can't remember how the rubber ama mount attaches to the ama. If interested I'll check it out and try and make some pictures.

Talking with Mark at Long Haul the key is to have the proper, read pretty darn high, inflation on the amas.

You might give Mark a call and ask him about the early mounting system. I know he dealt with Balogh and the rig in the early days of development.

It wouldn't hurt to give David Valverde a call and talk to him about it either. He's a salesman for sure, but he's also really knowledgeable and may help you get into a newer system.

I guess it comes down to price. If it's a great deal I'd go for it. If it's not much cheaper than new from BSD I'd wait.

Here's a pic of the new one: http://www.dennisleephotography.com/Dennis-Lee-Photograph/Boats/Klepper/n-p9swW/i-krtxGFc/A

Do you see the two red loops on the seam of the ama? That's where the old strut system would attach (I'm pretty sure).

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:11 am 

I have the old system. As mentioned, proper inflation is necessary, but it is very secure. It's not hard to set up, but easier and quicker would be better (of course). You shouldn't have any fears about going with the old system, though.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:34 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks very much for the replys. The price is $400 so I will purchase it. I'll be using it with the Klepper S2 sail rig.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 am 
faltbootemeister

Attached is an image of aka strut angles, from the Balogh patent. The outboard struts point just a bit outboard. The inboard struts point just a bit inboard. Note that originally the outboard cord had its own cleat for determining the angle of the outboard struts. I'm not sure if this version was ever produced. On all rigs I have seen the outboard cord has an overhand knot that lodges into a hole in a fitting at the end of the aka. Thus the outboard strut angle is not adjustable.

On my rigs, and some others I have seen, all struts pointed significantly outboard due to the too-short length of the outboard cord. The inboard ama loops could become detached. Mine did. I replaced the outboard cords, tying and retying the figure eight knots at the strut feet until my strut angles approximated those in the image. No trouble since then.

I used to inflate the amas with lung power alone, splashing water on them before final puffs. Both David Valverde and GrnMtns advised me to use a pump to more fully inflate. "Drum tight" was the term GrnMtns used. I was concerned about the amas bursting, but so far so good. The more fully inflated amas sit higher on the water, improving performance of the rig.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:56 pm 

Seems like having those clam cleats would have been a great idea. No way to add them?

How are the amas themselves connected to the lines?

Mark at Long Haul told me the same thing about using the pump. I'll get a pump one of these days.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:20 pm 
faltbootemeister

Surely the jam cleats could be added. I wonder why the design was changed? Was the cord escaping the cleat when the ama became submerged? Since the strut angle can change as the ama is inflated and as the inboard cord is tensioned, was finding the right spot to cleat the outboard cord too difficult, in order to achieve proper angles in the end?

Each ama has 4 fabric loops sewn into the seam, 2 per side. The loops fit over the aka struts prior to inflation. In the old days the loops were barely large enough to fit over the strut feet. Over time it seems that the loop size has increased.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6