Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 pm 
faltbootemeister

Folbot Spray Deck Modification for Balogh Sail Rig

Close reaching and close hauled on wavy water can put much water in the open cockpit of my Balogh-equipped Folbot Yukon. The Folbot spray deck just doesn’t work with the Balogh rig installed. For years I have been thinking of a deck modification that would solve the problem. I have finally made a first attempt. Despite my inability to sew in a straight line, I believe the modification will work. It will be tested in a few weeks at the Flamingo Flotilla (Please see Special Events forum). Please see the photos attached to this and the following posts.

The modification adds a close-fitting fabric sleeve for the mast and a fabric "platform" for mounting the sleeve. The sleeve and platform are created as a single piece. The modification uses two 9”x11” pieces of vinyl-coated fabric (dull sides facing each other), a sewing machine with V46 Poly thread from Seattle Fabrics, some 1 3/8” inside diameter O-rings, Aquaseal thinned with solvent (MEK, Xylene, Toluene), and a hole punch.

I can post more detailed instructions if anyone is interested, though what follows may be good enough.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

Last edited by RangerTim on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:50 pm 
faltbootemeister

The seams create a two-layered "T". The leg of the "T" is the sleeve for the mast. The bar of the "T" unfolds to become the platform. The distance across the flattened sleeve is 2 7/16", designed to accommodate the 1 1/2" OD Balogh mast. The bar of the "T" measures four inches from the top of the hem to the beginning of the sleeve. The other two edges of the platform will be hemmed after the excess fabric is cut away.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardshells x6

Last edited by RangerTim on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:56 pm 
faltbootemeister

Cut a hole in the spray deck usng the mast partner as a template. Insert the sleeve through the hole until the platform more-or-less rests on the deck. Pin then sew the outer edge of the platform to the deck. Darts may be necessary for the platform to lay flat.

Sealing seams with solvent-thinned Aquaseal seems to work much better than Aquaseal alone. It is easier to apply, more readily sinks into the needle holes, and adheres better.

O-rings will be rolled over the mast and sleeve each time the rig is installed. The top one is snugged up to the mast partner. These O-rings should keep out most if not all of the water that will pool on the foredeck under wavy conditions.

The photo here can be confusing, making it appear that the platform is below the deck. The platform is on top of the deck, with the sleeve protruding through a hole in the deck.

Hardshells x6

Last edited by RangerTim on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:09 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have Jonathan Waterman's Klepper from his Northwest Passage expedition. He dealt with the problem of his spray deck working with his crosstube clamps by simply cutting holes in the edge of the deck so they would fit over the heads of the carriage bolts. I did the same for my Folbot spray deck with a hole punch.

For the clamps to mount given the additional thickness of the velcro edge of the spray deck, I backed off of the carriage bolt nyloc nuts a little bit. So that I can have snug carriage bolts even when not using the spray deck, I will have a 4" piece of velcro that will live over the carriage bolts.

I'm sure the holes in the velcro edging will wear with use. When they become ragged I believe I can just install sacrificial bits of one-wrap velcro to replace the worn section. Not perfect but probably good enough.

Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:09 pm 
recent arrival

I tried, but I can't find a single idea for any improvement! If it doesn't work first time, I'll be surprised. I especially like that your
design doesn't create any windage. Most of my ideas involved wands to keep the fabric tight in an effort to shed the boarding water.
Doesn't seem to me you'll need that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

RangerTIm,

First rate design and execution, thanks for sharing. I will do my best to copy your design for my Klepper double when I get a spray skirt that will work with a mid-mounted mast. In the meantime, couple of questions...
I am not that familiar with the Yukon, but it looks like there is an existing mast partner in the combing. If that is true then there must be a reason you mounted the mast amidships, can you explain?
Does the platform of your mod allow you to put a crown in the deck? It drives me nuts to have to continually sponge or dump water that accumulates on my deck and it seems like your fabrication might be a fix for that?

Fair winds!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:30 pm 
faltbootemeister

I'm guessing, Greg, that you are referring to the cockpit nose piece. As you know, the Klepper cockpit nose piece is integral to the washboards and has a hole to accommodate a 1 3/8" mast. A Folbot cockpit nose piece installs separately from the washboards. It sits atop the washboards and is pressed against them by a star knob.

The Folbot cockpit nose piece was never designed as a mast partner. More modern aluminum ones have a nearly complete circle missing from the aft end. On the Yukon (13') and the Aleut (12') models this circle is a support for the top end of a tiny mast, which itself supports a rudder foot control. The GII ( 17') shares the same nose piece, but the cutout serves no intended purpose on this larger boat.

Since about 2003 the cockpit nose piece is plastic and has a complete circular cutout. At the Cedar Island gathering in October you may have noticed Dennis running a jib on his GII. He flew that sail from a small mast stuck through that circular cutout in his nose piece. It seemed to work just fine.

Water pooling on the forward portion of my spray deck is inevitable. I am hoping the O-rings will prevent the water from channeling down the mast and into the cockpit. The spray deck's position below the crosstube limits any crown that might be achieved through battens or arched lengths of garden hose. I could possibly install one of those options to get some crown between the crosstube and the cockpit opening. I may get some for free: from my knees. I'll have a better idea of what I want to change once I try it on the water.

Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:57 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Ah, now I see, said the blind man!

Hope to see you in FL, keep the stick up, the rudder on and the water out!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor