Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:46 am 
forum fan

Hello,
I broke the pump for my amas. I think it is called interlex, or something similar. I cannot seem to find one in Montreal, a fairly large city, but I am going to Vermont, close to Burlington, soon and was wondering if anyone knew where I might pick one up there. I have heard that they are found in Walmart, etc. but, not here. the large mouth for the amas is the problem.
thanks g

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:33 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have seen all manner of pumps adapted for use with Balogh amas. Most people replace the thin plastic hose that comes with the typical bellows foot pump (like a Sevylor pump from eBay) or a hand pump (like Intex Double Quick Hi Output hand pump also from eBay), with vinyl or pvc tubing of the same diameter as that with the Intex mini pump. I believe the inside diameter to be 3/8".

The tubing can be found in most any hardware store. In the USA, many small hardware stores will cut exactly the length you need. Lowe's and Home Depot only sell packaged standard lengths.

Balogh can provide an Intex Mini Air Pump, but in my experience those do not last long before the push rod breaks. I'm told the trick with those is not to grasp the barrel, but rather use the palm of the hand to push the end of the barrel.

Good luck!

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:00 pm 
forum fan

thanks, i will try it out. i was thinking of something like that as a solution. I was, however, thinking of some kind of piece of rubbet tha I would clamp to the pump on one side, and to the ama on the other. I guess if you get a solid peice of tubing you can some how fit it into the footpump, for instance.
g

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:02 am 
faltbootemeister

I have used an automotive hose clamp to hold tubing to the pump. I have also used Aquaseal, depending upon the design of the pump outlet. If the pump outlet is a barbed fitting (Some of the old Sevylor "squishy" pumps, not manufactured any more) I can get away with installing and removing the tubing with each use, using no clamp or adhesive.

I have toyed with the idea of attaching the vinyl/pvc tubing to a bicycle pump hose. I've not done it because I prefer a smaller pump I can use at the water before tossing it into the boat. If I am using a cart to get the rigged boat to the water, to minimize risk of puncture or abrasion I like to leave the amas a bit underinflated for the journey. Final full inflation occurs just before launching.

If the tubing is of the proper inside diameter it will fit snugly on the tapered part of the ama valve. Sometimes I have been able to fully inflate an ama without the tubing popping off, when both valve and tubing are dry. Otherwise, I hold the tubing to the valve with one hand. I twist the tubing 1/4 turn before pressing it on to the open valve. This makes the valve easier to close without losing any air. The topic of proper ama inflation has been much discussed. I feel the ama performs much better when "drum tight".

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:41 pm 
forum fan

You mentionned a bicycle pump and then not wanting to use it because of the size. There are smaller versions. I have a hand pump that clips to the bar on by bicycle. quite small. I remember when I broke my pump that I used the head of the broken pump on a push down bicycle pump. It worked well. But, I can't find the old pump head, now. I will give your idea a try.
thanks G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:34 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I had mine out a few days ago. It's the blue "jelly bean" pump from Sevylor. I prefer double-action pumps like those used by Pakboats, though-- far superior and not any heavier.
Examples:
https://smile.amazon.com/Texsport-Double-Action-Hand-Mattress/dp/B000P9IRVK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535981324&sr=8-3&keywords=double+action+air+pump&dpID=41UUwXW4j5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
or
https://smile.amazon.com/High-Output-Air-Pump-Double-Quick/dp/B00005017X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535981324&sr=8-4&keywords=double+action+air+pump&dpID=41IqkJ-KgTL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
or
https://smile.amazon.com/Intex-Double-Quick-Hand-Pump/dp/B0000ASK14/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1535981324&sr=8-14&keywords=double+action+air+pump

The small ones like that last one work well for this application. Also works well for sponsons and (especially) for floatation bags fore and aft.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:09 am 
forum fan

thanks. I ordered one of those double quick hand pumps.
g