Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MIZZEN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:05 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

So far since coming to Scilly I have only used the Triak. Next year I will start using the Klepper with it,s sails, (before it,s too late) I have the main and the jib. I am thinking of using the S1 sail as a mizzen, if anyone has done this or can advise me of problems or even how to use it well. It would be great to know. I have been looking how Careen and kajaksegel attach the masts, interesting they do it different ways. Careen (who seem to be no longer trading, pity, their sailing supplies looked good, that centre board through the hull looks interesting?) well careen attach the mast to the frame behind the seat and kajaksegel clamp a board behind the rear seat across the coaming, and pretty clearly show how to control the sail. The area of the kajaksegel sail is the same as the klepper S1 so all should be ok although I do like the shape of the sails at www.kajaksegel.de

Post subject: Re: MIZZEN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:53 am 
faltbootemeister

Thanks or the link. Always good to see a previously unknown source for sailing gear for folders.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:37 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Jon,
Rigging a mizzen is pretty straightforward as there is so much room to play with in the stern cockpit...as long as you have your seat in the middle position. The way I rig is with a deckboard fastened to/across the combing with standard combing clamps. The deckboard is drilled with a 1.5 inch hole that serves as the mast partner. I fabricated a square-holed mast foot, about 3x3x3/4 inches, and riveted it to the keelboard. All of the wood is 3/4 inch hardwood ply.

So much for the easy part.

The hard part is balancing the sails. I am not sure if I would put an S1/2 behind me on a Klepper. I think your weather helm would be severe. When I run my jib, main, and mizzen I use a smaller (24 sq.ft.) sail for the mizzen and it can be a lot to handle. When the mizzen is sheeted in and on a close haul I don't have enough rudder to keep my Kleeper pointed off the wind: it wants to steer into it, even with hard reverse rudder. I end up steering the boat with the mizzen, using only enough tension on the sheet to keep the sail filled but not enough to have it push me into the wind. I know that is pretty complicated, more so because I don't know all the correct sailing terminology.

Now, I also have a single leeboard and it is located about 18 inches aft of the main mast. If I had another leeboard or if I relocated the single leeboard closer to the mizzen it might correct for some or all of the weather helm. Bear in mind that the leeboard is a massive foil-shaped Balogh leeboard, not the Klepper piece.

Good luck with this, keep us informed with your progress, and thanks,
g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Last edited by gbellware on Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:46 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Thanks for the advice on the size of the sail for the mizzen, I might be able to get one made locally. The advice I have on positioning the lee boards is to be close to the mast, that's with the normal Klepper sails, I was thinking with a mizzen I should move it back a bit. Which seems to be what you say. It,s early days but I will want fairly calm conditions.