Sail plans for Klepper?

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

barkeater
paddler

Sail plans for Klepper?

Post by barkeater »

I'm looking for the sail plans for the different Klepper tandem sailing rigs that include center of effort and center of resistance. Are these on the web some where? Thanks, Woody

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Sail plans for Klepper?

Post by JohnSand »

I don't know, but if you can even find a scale drawing you can calculate your own. I find approximations workable if you can make adjustments in mast rake and leeboard position.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

As far as I know there is only one sail for the Aerius 2. It has been called S2,S3 and S4 which is a gaff mounted main sail. There is a smaller S1 main sail which is intended for the Aerius 1 but it can be used on the tandem, they both use the same jib. I don,t think you will find any plans or drawings of these sails on the web, a member might be able to photograph them and add the dimensions. But, in the book Canoe Rig The Essence and the Art by Todd E Bradshaw he has drawings with all the dimensions of a gaff rigged sloop which is almost the same as Kleppers there are a lot of other sails as well. Another good book on sails is The Working Guide to Traditional Small-Boat Sails by David L Nichols (but no klepper type sails in it).

barkeater
paddler

Post by barkeater »

When a Klepper is rigged for sail is there a fixed position for the lee boards or are they adjustable fore and aft on the combing rails?

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

The leeboard can be mounted (almost) anywhere along the combing and can be fine-tuned on any given sailing day while underway by angling the board fore or aft on the fixed cross member. g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

DLee

Post by DLee »

Here is a link to photographs with dimensions for the S2/4 main sail.
https://www.dennisleephotography.com/De ... /i-Z59PRjJ

If you follow the gallery down from this link of the S2/4 and jib you will see a collection of different sail rigs shot from pretty much the same angle and distance for a little comparison. Good luck! https://www.dennisleephotography.com/De ... -sTNDBzf/A

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

One of your questions was about the lee board location. Dieter Stiller who knew a great deal about Kleppers and he ran the Hans klepper Corporation in Union Square West New York, it closed many years ago and he will be dead by now. But he gave out instruction sheets on aspects of Kleppers, For sailing his recommended location for the lee board is 10 to 15 inches behind the mast, so for starters i would place the lee board 10 inches behind the mast and then try other locations until you find what is best for you. Also if sailing alone he recommends a 20 LB weight at the front iv,e used bags of water. I like my lee boards near the mast about 8 inches from it which might mean slotting or drilling the cross piece.. Try and get the book i mentioned even if from the library, that will give you all the info you need.

DLee

Post by DLee »

I remember when I first joined this forum and started learning about sailing the Kleppers. There was a lot of talk and discussion about putting weight up in the bow. I never did it because I was always too lazy.

Does this ballast in the bow idea apply to BSD rigs with akas and amas?

Interesting John, I had totally forgotten about that.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

I use a BSD Classic 36 rig without outriggers on my Ultralight canoe. I add some ballast for trim and stability, placing it forward helps her tack.

Return to “Sailing Gear”