What Klepper sail set is this? And how to set up hand steering?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

barkeater
forum fan

What Klepper sail set is this? And how to set up hand steering?

Post by barkeater »

I just bought a Klepper sail rig on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KLEPPER-AERIUS ... fresh=true

I'm assuming its a S2 rig. Can any one confirm?

My other question is about controlling the rudder. The hull I have is a fiberglass Klepper Kamerad TS, that I am putting Yakima foot pedals in for paddling from a central position. The paddling seat is elevated, but easily removable, so I can sit anywhere in the bottom of the boat. I'm not completely sure about how I'm going to steer the boat when sailing and moving around to keep the boat flat. Thanks, Woody

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: What Klepper sail set is this? And how to set up hand steering?

Post by JohnSand »

Great buy! I paid that much for a new sail.
I don't have a Klepper, but my Balogh Sail Designs rig has a yoke on the rudder head with lines running forward.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Rudder pedals.
Have a look at this thread on the WCP forum for ideas on diy rudder pedals.

https://www.westcoastpaddler.com/commun ... post-91165

Also take a look at the Long Haul Kayaks accessories page for their rudder kit:

https://longhaulfoldingkayaks.com/colle ... r-assembly

I just tried two separate designs of Toe and heel pedals and neither worked as well as the tried and true piece of wood hinged at the bottom like you see on the Long Haul page and Klepper original design.

Good deal on the sails, if you bought them new from Klepper America it would cost around $1200.00

Also a good website in Germany with Klepper info. You might find yours on there.
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... teln.de%2F
Last edited by Yakadoodle on Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

barkeater
forum fan

Post by barkeater »

I actually paid a bit less than that with a buy it now. Hopefully it will get here in one piece. I have an idea about hand steering lines going forward to a rigging deck with a rope clutch. A push pull stick would be easier to set up but I might have to make a longer rudder yoke to get enough leverage.

barkeater
forum fan

Post by barkeater »

Yakadoodle wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:41 pm
Rudder pedals.
Thanks for the link. I'm setting up the pedals for an elevated center seat position for paddling, but will take take that seat out for sailing. It would be great if I could sail the boat from the same position, but on a lower seat, but my limited experience with sailing canoes makes me think I'll be shifting my position around in the boat.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

If you got an original Klepper rudder with it where the rudder blade is mostly horizontal you may want to try taking the blade out of the stock and hanging it vertically from the stock.
See this article from the the sail masters at BSD where he talks about having 20% of the rudder in front of the pin the rudder pivots on.
This allows the force of the water to aid in moving the rudder.
http://www.bsdsails.com/kayakrudder.html

If you had outriggers like the BSD system uses you would be really stable in the seat and get lazy maybe falling asleep!

I just saw the delivery zip code on the ebay ad...you down in Fort Lauderdale? Confirming that it is an S2 rig!
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

I use a line and turning blocks to hand steer my Folbot Super and a Tom Hill Ultralight rigid canoe. There is sufficient friction in the system without a clutch or cleat. I pull the line with either hand, if I let go of it the rudder stays in position.

barkeater
forum fan

Post by barkeater »

So the rig got here. I'm not sure of the vintage. The canvas bag is rough canvas and has wooden beads on the draw string. The blocks are bronze as are the hooks for the leeboard mount. The sails are very light weight. I would guess nylon, but hope their dacron. I only had 5 minutes to inspect, but when I put the mast in my boat the shrouds are about 12" to short. The mast step is a 6" billet of aluminum and the join to the mast is a rough cut like some one went at it with a hack saw free hand. The boom gooseneck looks to be twisted out of alighnment a bit. There are rubs on the mast above the kayak deck. I'm assuming the sailing part of the rig was adapted to a dinghy at some point. Longer shrouds should be easy enough to make up. Just as an aside, if any one is a collector and wants to swap a for different vintage rig let me know, as I the antique roadshows worst nightmare as far as "improving" antiques....

barkeater
forum fan

Post by barkeater »

After doing a little googling, it seems tha Klepper had a folding sailing dinghy called the "Master" Does anone know about this boat? Thanks

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

I've heard of the Klepper Master, and possibly seen one sailing, or the similar Folbot dinghy.
There might be some demand for it.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I had a Master, briefly. Mine had a thoroughly rotten hull so I sent it to Mark Eckhart at Long Haul for repair, as he’d done a batch of rebuilds on Masters. He did a beautiful job. After some evaluation I decided it was too small for my 6’2” frame, and sold it, but it would suit smaller boaters.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

As far as I know Klepper made two foldup sailing boats, one was the MASTER at 11ft 10 inches long x 4 foot beam sail area 77 sq feet, weight 108LBS. The other was the TRADEWIND 14 ft long x 4ft 4 inches beam . They would take outboard motors up to 10 HP as well as spinnakers. There was also one called the PASSAT which might have been the Tradewind.

barkeater
forum fan

Post by barkeater »

Just a quick update on this rig. The billet mast foot is out of alighnment with the rest of the maSt hardware. I tried twisting it but it became obvious that I would end up damaging the spar trying to apply force. I got the torch out but reconcidered because the as aluminum masts are tempered. Takeing a step back the solution is to cut the original square stub off and recut with hacksaw and file. Can any one tell me what the correct mast leangth and shroud leangths are for a S2 rig? I don't have my notes, but I think my mast is aproximatly 4 inches longer than stock. Would there be any Advantage To keeping the extra Length?

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

barkeater wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:25 pm
Would there be any Advantage To keeping the extra Length?
How tall are you?
If you sit under the boom it's 4 more inches of clearence for your head.

barkeater
forum fan

Post by barkeater »

I am not a small person and of the taller sitting down proportion. Sounds like some dry land mockups are in order.

Return to “Sailing Gear”