Deck Seats for Folbot

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

RangerTim
knight of the folding kayak realm

Deck Seats for Folbot

Post by RangerTim »

Cold weather, cold water, and Covid have given me time to putter but not the opportunity to test. I had chunks of 3" closed-cell foam left over from making a bilge bed [viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7277] for a Folbot GII. I thought they might make serviceable deck seats for use with a tiller when sailing. The result seems ok but as I said, I do not have the opportunity to test. Also, I must live with the prototype for now as I have no more expendable foam chunks.

Each seat is composed of two chunks of foam. The smaller chunk elevates the larger chunk and rests on a frame tube. The larger chunk rests on a washboard. The washboard seats into a channel in the larger foam chunk. The seats are intended to be placed at a rib for maximum support but might be placed elsewhere along the washboard. To help keep the skipper from falling overboard the seats tilt slightly toward the cockpit and have non-slip sheets on the upper surface.

Two straps thread through slits in the larger chunk. The straps are not meant to hold down the seats. They simply prevent the unoccupied seats from being lost overboard. They thread behind the top tube of the side frame. The seats can be flipped into the cockpit and leave room for the skipper but can be in the way.

An electric carving knife from a thrift store cuts the foam, though not super accurately. One must proceed slowly to avoid bogging the motor. 3M Super 77 spray adhesive adheres the two foam chunks to each other, and does a pretty good job. It does less well with the non-slip sheets, but the straps will hold the sheets on.

As the water temperature here is 40 degrees, I may need to wait until April or May to test on the water.
Attachments
1125201417.jpg
1125201417.jpg (120.19 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
1125201417a.jpg
1125201417a.jpg (112.44 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
1125201419.jpg
1125201419.jpg (105.24 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

RangerTim

Re: Deck Seats for Folbot

Post by RangerTim »

The non-slip sheets were an afterthought, after I discovered how slippery the foam is when wet.
Attachments
0110211002.jpg
0110211002.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Ann and me
Hardshells x6

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

I like them.
When I was rigging my Super, I thought of ideas for deck seats too. They had them in their catalog. That boat sailed well without them under a 55sqft lateen. But I weigh 230#, and have been sailing for years, so I can keep a boat upright pretty well.

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Looks pretty great Tim. I have a set from Mark at Long Haul which are very similar in style to what you've made here.

The only problem with these is that it takes a really brisk and consistent wind to actually use them. If you're like me, you're going to find that you want an elevated seat which is very close to the height of the gunnels so that you can spend a fair amount of time in the center or edge but then quickly shift out to the deck seat. I end up sitting on the rear coaming or even behind it on the rear deck far too often. It's also a little too high.

I've tried many variations of stacked cushions and a 'hiking' board across the top. None really seem to do the job properly. Mark makes a canoe seat for the York and I'm going to ask him about getting one for my kayaks. I'd like it to hang down off the coaming just 2 maybe 3 inches below the top edge. Maybe I could help the support with some cushions underneath. I'd like it to be just deep enough to maintain a little COG but high enough to quickly shift out to the deck cushion.

Anyway, I'll let you know what he thinks. It would be great if it were easily moveable because it could also be a canoe paddling and fishing seat as well. Maybe even a little work table :D But mainly it'd be perfect (I think) for sailing.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

RangerTim

Post by RangerTim »

I see your point, Dennis. I can always cut the seats down for lower ride height, or maybe scuttle them altogether. I'll see what goes out on the water. I'm hoping for a bit of testing time before the Tall Pines gathering at the end of April. When the water temperature is below 50°F I'd rather not go out, especially for a windy-day test. 39°F here just now.

What I really would like is a plank behind my seat that slides and locks port-starboard on a track. It would overhang the water on the windward side while remaining above the deck on the leeward.

I could sit on the plank of course, though perhaps only centered over the deck. More useful, perhaps, would be the ability to counterbalance by leaning out to windward on a forearm while more-or-less remaining in the cockpit. Now I just sit as far to windward as I can while gripping the windward coaming with my leeward hand.
Ann and me
Hardshells x6

Return to “Sailing Gear”