Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DRYSUITS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:21 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Think it,s about time we had a new heading. We should really help and when we were going way off the question a new heading should have been started. Living in the Scillies where the Atlantic is about 100 steps from the back yard gate, actually the back door onto the road, I should really have a drysuit as even in the summer the water is cold. I have been looking at them for several weeks or months and I have noted all the suggestions. Price is of importance and that rules out what seems to be the best, KOKATAT. Some lower cost one seem to fill my requirments which is easy entry and a relief zip for obvious reasons. Thank you Ian for telling me about the ex army ones, but as I have had experience of water proofs I will only buy garments made from breathable materials if they are to be worn all day. So I will try and keep within £550 and convince myself it is a must buy for the spring.

Post subject: Re: DRYSUITS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:32 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi John,
You've had my input—and I agree that breathable makes sense. Here is a discussion on SongofthePaddle.co.uk which mentions some of the brands readily available in the UK. SotP can be a useful place to ask about UK related paddling/purchasing Qs. (It is an open canoe focussed site, but so many of the paddlers there also paddle kayaks, so plenty of useful experience there.)

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... ht=drysuit

UK Rivers Guide Book is a kayaking focussed website. Here is a search for drysuit there:
https://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/for ... 038629e039

Hope that helps, and good luck with your purchase.
Ian

Post subject: Re: DRYSUITS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Thank,s Ian, the song of the paddle site really helps. I have probably looked at all the ones mentioned but now I have some comments from people who wear them. I never thought of popping in the lifeboat station to see what they wear but I expect they get the best regardless of price. I have never capsized and only fell in the lake or river when getting out, the side of the lakes being shallow but rivers can be deep near the bank (a PFD test). Perhaps I am being over cautious in my advancing years. Don,t forget to come down sometime for a couple of weeks, if the weather co-operates you won,t regret it. We are normally full in August and a couple of weeks in June or July depending when my son can get over from Alberta