Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:03 pm 
forum fanatic

A few weeks ago I purchased solo ribs 3+4 along with the solo expedition spray deck for my Longhaul Commando.
I want to report that the S 2 sail, main and jib, work really well from the solo position. Besides being well balanced ( no ballast required ) everything, lee-boards, halyards etc are all within arms reach. The improvement and ease in sailing the S 2 is remarkable. I've been out sailing almost everyday here in N.C.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for the report treecutter. Not many are actually sailing the Klepper sails, so it is good to have some info on these. Do you use outriggers? Where are you sailing?

Best,
g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:17 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi Greg, Yes, I'm in Southport N.C. for the winter, then back to Canada. I'm sailing mostly on the intracostal. I am using outriggers as the water is in the 50 degree range. I like traditional sails so the S 2 Klepper sail is perfect for me in every way. I'm extremely happy with the performance of the Klepper sail, the solo position does make a huge difference in ease of use, no need to have long lines to the stern, I tie everything off at the mast, plus the boat is balanced and tacks excellently. And the bottom line for me is that the S 2 looks beautiful sailing on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks Treecutter, sounds great. Not many people actually sail the Klepper sails, although there are certainly lots of them out there. I would love to see how they perform with all that sail area. BTW, there is a large group of us who get together near Temperanceville, VA to sail and paddle every year, this year we will be there the first week of May. The same group goes to Cedar Island in the fall. The group is a very friendly assortment of folks from all walks of life, some retired and some not so much, who would welcome you if you would care to join us, if you would like details just ask!

Best,
g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:48 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I agree with you on the S2 sail Treecutter. It's a beautiful aesthetic and works quite well. Wise move using the outriggers with that temperature of water.

I found the clam shell cleats on the OG Klepper lee board crossbar to work perfectly for the jib. But I like having a very small and simple control board for the main so I can let it fly quickly in a gust or drop the entire rig in a moment if necessary. As much as I love the simplicity of the cleats on the mast I think I prefer the quick release capabilities of the board.

This is my most recent 'less is more' control board - mounted with modified 1.6 Kayaksailor and floating lee board. I'm pretty sure I've used this board with the S2/4... but not positive. I will if I haven't. You'll want the little rollers on the bottom of the mast (second picture) to guide the lines to the board at a nice angle.

Image Image

You can see it's super small and super simple - the clam cleats are only at that extreme angle because the board was so narrow.

These pictures above are at the very bottom of this gallery along with a couple others if interested:

https://www.dennisleephotography.com/Dennis-Lee-Photograph/Boats/Klepper/n-p9swW/

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP