Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laconic sailing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:32 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

yeah I know it's not the proper use of the word, but I like it anyways.

So I've been playing with the MK1 for the past week, rigging in the yard, trying different combos to try and make friends with the BSD amas and akas.

Eventually I put the aka ideas aside and simply went sailing. Used the Klepper S4 main sail and worked on my 'new' reefing arrangement. Seems to work fine but the lake where I do my testing is more gusty than continuous and with light winds I had a hard time determining how well the reefed (ie rolled up) sail worked.

I was once again reminded that the boat sails much better than I do, so if I can stay out of the way the boat sails quite nicely. Whenever I try and get speed out of it, it seems we sit idle. So frustrating. Anyway, the reefed S4 has about the same gumption as the Kayaksailor 1.6. Fairly bland.

Have any of you noticed that the smaller area sails just don't want to work that well in a stiff blow? What's that all about? My technique prolly.

Yesterday I had a couple good blasts of wind but as the afternoon drew on the wind died. I climbed down from the combing and with the S4 flying full I relaxed in the bottom of the boat and sailed more efficiently than I had done the entire day... just letting the boat do it's thing pretty much.

So, what do you do when the boats in charge? Take pictures of course. This is where laconic comes in... very boring, but pretty short. Enjoy.

PS. You'll see my 'unshipped' mast and sail in storage mode towards the end - unbent and unshipped and stored while on the water (always in the relative calm though...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFC0RLhE1Cc

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Post subject: Re: Laconic sailing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:34 pm 

Nice to see relaxed sailing and a lake. Iv,e almost forgot what a good time can be had on a lake. I heard last week a group of paddle boarders had paddled over from the mainland UK to the Scillies, about 30 miles of paddling, it took about 11 hours and they were accompanied by a launch in case of problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:54 pm 
forum fanatic

That was a fine video, enjoyed it alot. Always nice to see how other people setup their rig.

Kevin

Long Haul MK II Stretch Quattro
BSD Expedition Schooner Rig
Best Kayaking Partner In The World

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:54 am 

Thanks John, Kd,

My rig is in constant flux. One thing that I annoy myself with all the time are all the loose 'ends' I have hanging around. But I change things so often I never want to cut a line. It's a double edged sword.

Inevitably I end up shooting towards the settled in stage of a sail, when lines are crossed and disorder has fallen into working mode. It always bugs me when I look at the shots or video afterward and have all my lines crossing or going the 'wrong' way, lol. So very un-ship shape. But such is life.

BTW, I need a good source for small blocks and such, any links? I have a great small boat shop nearby (Landfall Navigation) and as much as I want to support them the prices on Opti racing hardware is so expensive I just can't do it.

John, that's quite some water out there my friend. Be careful. You getting out at all?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:03 am 
forum fanatic

Have you tried Duckworks?

https://www.duckworks.com/blocks-s/311.htm

Kevin

Long Haul MK II Stretch Quattro
BSD Expedition Schooner Rig