Does Anyone Make/Sell Plans and Kits Still, Like Folbot Used To?

Discussion of user-built folding kayaks

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Rob
forum fanatic

Does Anyone Make/Sell Plans and Kits Still, Like Folbot Used To?

Post by Rob »

Just curious if any companies or individuals are selling plans, and/or kits for folding, or even rigid kayaks, with wooden or aluminum frames?

I know Folbot used to back in the day, since my parents bought one, and assembled a double kayak with success. It was a great boat, and turned out very nice.

I was surprised to find out just the other night that my mom apparently did ALL the varnishing of the frame by herself. I didn't remember that.

I know the Chesapeake Lights Company makes and sells kayak kits and plans for wood strip models, but that's the only one I am currently aware of.

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Does Anyone Make/Sell Plans and Kits Still, Like Folbot Used To?

Post by JohnSand »

I think there are several companies that sell plans and kits for wooden kayaks. Glen-L comes to mind.
http://gentrycustomboats.com/Planspage.html sells plans and kits for skin on frame boats with wooden frames. I think Tom Yost may be gone, but his Yostwerks.org website is still available. There are folders and rigid SOF boats with aluminum stringers. There are other books of plans and instructions as well, search Skin On Frame boats.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

For plans click on www.clarkcraft.com then onto plans for wooden boats. They have lots of plans for skin on frame and stich and glue, plus one or two folders and they sell materials etc. A very interesting site. Another site for stich and glue is www.clcboats.com for plans and kits they are also available in the UK from Fyne Boat Kits.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

Yostwerks.com is a site with free plans to make a wide range of sizes and styles of both folding and inflatable kayaks. Check out their "Gallery" with shots that folks from around the world have posted of the boats that they have built from the plans.

http://www.yostwerks.org
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

Rob
forum fanatic

Post by Rob »

Wow, those Yoshwerks kayaks look really great!

Thanks for posting the link to those.

Neat designs.

Alas, most are too small for me, but I'll have to check the others out. Not sure I want to take on building one of these from scratch, since that seems a bit daunting, and I don't have the tools needed to do that, but they do look superb. It certainly looks to be a lot more affordable than buying a new one though, as long as you have the time, equipment, and space to put one together.

It must be a great feeling to build one, and to use it on the water.

The number of hours doesn't seem too bad, but I suspect getting the skin on, and ensuring a tight and smooth fit is the real trick.

I recall that being a bit of a challenge when my parents built the Folbot double we used to use. It did turn out superbly though.

Return to “Homemade Folding Kayaks”