Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Falco Folding Kayak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 pm 
forum fan

Hi Tom,

Hope everything is OK!!! :D

Any news regarding the final prototype of the Falco !!!

Bye

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:30 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Trigger and Chucao,

I've been busy the past several weeks with non kayak building activities ( motorcycling, bicycling, kayaking, watching the Olympics, etc.)
... nothing much new to report on the Falco's.

The Falco 16 is in the shop awaiting completion of it's plywood bottom and Falco instructions are still in my head rather than on my site :D

Tom

Use the {BACK} key to return from links below ... Hope I haven't posted these pics already ?

http://www.yostwerks.com/MotoFalco3.jpg - Loveland Pass ( 12,000ft)
http://www.yostwerks.com/MotoFalco4.jpg
http://www.yostwerks.com/MotoFalco7.jpg
http://www.yostwerks.com/FalcoSprintKeyV.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:38 am 
forum fan

I have been busy browsing for weeks the page www.toms_head.org/havingfun/Falco_double... i thought the page was always down because of a lot of traffic on the directory havingfun!
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:22 am 
I am looking at building my first Kayak and after browsing around I think I have decided on the Falco. Would this be too difficult of a design for a rookie? I have plenty of woodworking experience with things like house, furniture, bookshelves, etc. but never anything like this. Also any idea on when the plans for the Falco will be released? Thanks so much for all the great ideas!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:12 pm 
recent arrival

Looking for my first build and I think this is it! Can't wait for the instructions to get posted. Also looking to build a Sonnet 14/6.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:19 am 
forum fan

10 months since the unveiling of the falco.

Any updates?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:57 pm 
forum fan

Tom,

Any updates with the Falco boats?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi all,

Nothing new to report on the Falco's. I've been distracted recently by other activities.

I've paddled both boats several times over the summer. I still plan to add a plywood bottom to the
Falco 16 to make it completely stringer free.

Here's my latest 200+ horsepower distraction :D
http://www.yostwerks.com/Ride30Oct12B.jpg ... Use the {BACK} key to return.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:57 pm 
forum fan

Hi Tom,

That bike is beauty !!! :mrgreen:

Well It seem will have to wait for the snow to come in, to have some news in your web site
regarding the Falcos and I dont blame you. :D

It is nice to know you are fine and having a good time !!

regards

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:02 am 
forum fan

Planning a trip to Lake Powell, will the falco be able to accompany me?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:56 pm 
forum fan

I've been thinking, for the past year or so, since the falco was produced.

Couldn't this building technique be used on any size/shape/style of kayak? With the proper drafting work one could convert any design to a falco style design... in theory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:24 pm 
forum fan

Hi trigger,

Quote:
I've been thinking, for the past year or so, since the falco was produced.

Couldn't this building technique be used on any size/shape/style of kayak? With the proper drafting work one could convert any design to a falco style design... in theory.

I am sure this building technique could be used in other designs.
The thing is that you need more details regarding the contruction of the joints.

Quote:
I have a few questions,
Does the ply run free in the channel or is it a close fit ?
Whats the distance you have between Ply panels in the PVC hinge so as to allow them to fold?
I imagine that the “U” aluminum channel has one longer side so as to stick to the Ply , could you give the dimensions.

I asked Tom for some details, But he told me to wait :roll:

Quote:
I'm still working on the various folding aspects of these prototypes and will provide
the detailed information you asked about when all is finalized after completion of the Falco Double.
Please do not attempt to build these boats until I write instructions later this summer.

I am sure that he has been trying the falco in the water and polishing things up before releasing it in his page.

I imagine that one could try to make one using the basic idea, but at your own risk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:30 pm 
recent arrival

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It uses inexpensive big box store 5mm plywood side panels covered in PVC ... in lieu of expensive aluminum framing and sponsons.
The panels connect with PVC hinges for folding and the hinges are covered on the inside with 5mm ply sliding plates that provide
rigidity and strength to the folding joint. Hull bottom and deck are PVC skinned.

The plywood cross sections are PVC hinged on one side with Velcro closures on the other. These and the sliding panels make assembly
very fast ... under 5 minutes. I'm adding the deck and folding coaming today but pics make more sense before the deck is attached.
There will be no zippers or other deck closures for simplicty and a dry ride. Assembly, or should I say unfolding takes place through the coaming. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:26 pm 
forum fan

Hi all, I keep looking here from updates but Tom must be busy on other things or putting his info elsewhere.

Either way, if anyone wants to build their own version of the Falco then all the info can be taken from the pictures and text posted here so far. It ain't rocket science, and you have to take a bit of risk and allow for some improvisation along the way. I made my version by cutting the side panels, then fixing them together to form the full length, and taping them together at bow and stern. Then i pulled them apart in the centre until i had the boat to the desired width (24", but i later made another to 25" to be more stable for a friend) thenmade 4 cross sections to suit whatever the width was at each position i wanted them. I chose to velcro them in place. Then just hold it all together with straps while i skinned and glued it.

It really is that simple, with a bit of swearing and thinking, and credit to Tom for the thought, inspiration, and information.
Alot of the questions on here about minor details will really answer themselves once the build is in progress. C'mon chaps, the sooner you attack your build the sooner you can be on the water. I have been using my 2 for a year now!
Oh and the best tip I can add is to buy a clip-in seat pad/back rest for a sit-on-top and find a way to fit it to your boat, works wonders for stability and comfort .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:50 am 
faltbootemeister

are there news of the falco double with ply-bottom?

which dimension?
length=16
beam=?
height=?
displacement=?

br and a happy new year from vienna/austria

hanney

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next