Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Falco Folding Kayak
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:51 am 
faltbootemeister

@chris:
do you glue the panels and the skin together???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:08 pm 
forum fan

dschin wrote:
@chris:
do you glue the panels and the skin together???

Hi dschin, not sure if you were asking me, but here's how I did mine.

Mine in it's finished state is similar to Tom's Falco, but it doesn't fold (I must admit I'm not as clever as Tom, I used his Falco for inspiration and adapted the design to suit my lack of skills lol). The skin of my boat is laid out, then the front and rear halfs of the frame are inserted through the cockpit and fixed together - like a traditional folder assembly.

To make a 12ft kayak i used 4 panels each side as I wanted the packed length to be 3ft or so. I didn't want to use any wood as I am not confident of sealing it, so I used ACM sheet ( 3mm aluminium-faced plastc sheet) 3ft 3inchx 11inch each. I overlapped each panel by 3inch and bolted together with 2 6mm smooth-headed bolts (called 'roofers' in the uk) at each join. I bolted all apnels together to give 2 full length sides, then taped them together at bow and stern. Then open them in the centre to be 24inch apart, and measure the widths at the cross section positions, and make 4 12mm plywood crosssections. I then assembled the frame ( that is sides and crossectons all in place and temporary taped in position) and skinlike you would withany other frame. To dis-assemble, start by removing the bolts in the cockpit to seperate front of frame from the back half, and pull out of the cockpit peice by peice.

The finished boat is a bit 'tippy' as I am a novice paddler, but a floor panel in the cockpit may help. I posted another thread on this somewhere ( 'advice on keel position' think it was called)

Please bear in mind this is Tom's baby really, my de-engineered interpretaion of the falco is just a stop-gap to satisfy my curiosity as I have always wanted a kayak and couldn't wait. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 am 
faltbootemeister

hi chris

all ok, when I saw the pic I assumed that.

at the moment I am testing following idea

panel > insert > panel

the panels are glued to the skin
the removable insert is connected with the panel with puzzle cuts. so I do not have gaps

panel, insert, panel are additional fixed with yost's fixing

br from vienna

hannes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:46 pm 
forum fan

dschin wrote:
hi chris

all ok, when I saw the pic I assumed that.

at the moment I am testing following idea

panel > insert > panel

the panels are glued to the skin
the removable insert is connected with the panel with puzzle cuts. so I do not have gaps

panel, insert, panel are additional fixed with yost's fixing

br from vienna

hannes

Sounds good!
Not sure what you mean by puzzle cuts- like a jigsaw?
Since completing mine I have reworked the panels with 'fingers' that interlock at the ends so there are no bolts just slots together, maybe a similar idea?

Its good to experiment and evolve (even the mistakes help us learn lol)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 am 
forum fan

don't you fear the puzzle cut could snap out the position due to the water stressing the frame?
I suppose butt jointing the panels could be easier and better. IMHO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:50 pm 
faltbootemeister

a quick scribble

black: panel
red: insert
blue: lock like yost

so the insert will be fixed to the panels in lenght-direction and with the yost-lock to the panels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 pm 
forum fan

Lodeon wrote:
don't you fear the puzzle cut could snap out the position due to the water stressing the frame?
I suppose butt jointing the panels could be easier and better. IMHO

My side panel joints have landed where the crossections are, so they can't flex inwards, the crosssections are in the way. The centre join has a 'lower half' crossection -sits just below your knees.

dschin wrote:
a quick scribble

black: panel
red: insert
blue: lock like yost

so the insert will be fixed to the panels in lenght-direction and with the yost-lock to the panels

Yeah that would work, looks more intricate than mine, but stronger too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:14 pm 
forum fan

No updates?

V/R
Adam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:28 am 
recent arrival

Does anyone have a video on how the Falco unfolds? Can't quite envision it, and beyond that, I think I can begin on making a set for my wife and me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:28 pm 
paddler

AndrewB wrote:
Does anyone have a video on how the Falco unfolds? Can't quite envision it, and beyond that, I think I can begin on making a set for my wife and me.

You fold the cross sections flat against one of the sides, bring the two sides together, then accordian fold the entire boat at the 4" gaps between side panels, like so: ____ --> /\/\/ --> ||||

I hope that verbal description helps, because the ASCII sure doesn't make it any clearer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:01 am 
recent arrival

So after unfolding the kayak, I assume the cargo areas are required, so you can reach in and slide the plates into place?

So how do we get the offsets for the frames/cross sections at only 4 locations from a given set of plans?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:42 pm 
forum fan

Guys I think you are over thinking this.

All you need to do is look at toms photos of the cross sections and scale them up. To decide the cross section sizes, I made 2 12ft side panels (4 3ft lengths each), by 11inch high, taped them together at bow and stern, then pulled them apart in the centre until they formed a kayak shape 24inch wide. I then measured the width between the panels at each cross section position and made them to suit.

If you wanna practice with the design, try a scale model first, 12inch long. cut some cereal box to make two 12inch panels and sellotape them together, then pull them apart to see how they flex. Spread the top edges more and you will see the bow and stern curl up nicely.

A friend asked me to make one for his wife who was fed up with her inflatable canoe because it didn't track at all. But he said mine was very low in the water and a bit tippy. So when I made theirs i simply made the side panels an inch taller, and made the cross sections 1.5 inches wider to give a more stable kayak. I suppose you could even upscale it to a tandem if you keep adding length and width.

Seriously, some time spent sat down with scissors, card, tape and a ruler will give you a frame model and confidence to start building.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:29 pm 
faltbootemeister

where may I find the pics of Falco???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:40 pm 
forum fan

Tom didn't post falco pics on his website, but you may find them on various forums.

If you Google "falco folding kayak" and select images the first half a dozen are toms falco (it's the one made from Red pvc with plywood cross sections)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:06 am 
faltbootemeister

thanks

are there anywhere the design with measurements??
I consider to use dropstitch-fabrics instead of plywood

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next