Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:31 pm 
paddler

I have recently started to build my folding kayak. Whenever I have spare time, I build it. I think I will finish cutting stage next week and I build it plywood, I have done my own project without helping from any blueprint or etc. I want to learn ideal and maximum possible weights of sea kayaks however many different types of kayaks exist. I am very heavy person (105 kgs) and my friend also as heavy as me. I have designed my kayak as tandem by considering weight be carried. It will be 5.5 m long beam size 91 cm. This kayak will be a bit more heavy but this is not problem I have calculated capacity. My problem is skin that I want to use. My region have full of sharp rocks and I want to use special pvc with 1.5 - 2 mm thickness intead of pvc tarpaulin. This special pvc is very heavy (22 m2 is 45 kg). It adds my kayak 17 kg when I use it as a skin. Or I can use it only bottom of kayak and additional weight is 9 kg in this case. Could any one give me any idea or chart about this issue.
Thanks ..
Gokhan Altintas

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I think using the heavy PVC on just the hull bottom would be the best way to do it. You don't need the heavier fabric on the top. Use lighter fabric like urethane coated nylon or use 8 ounce nylon ballistic cloth and then paint it with 2-part urethane for waterproofing. You can also glue extra protection strips on the hull along the keel line to protect it. PVC is easy to patch, so don't worry so much about possible damage.

I am curious why you chose to not use blueprints or designs from others when there are so many good resources for that available such as at the Yostwerks site. And also why you chose to build a tandem. That will be a very heavy boat!

You should post some links to photos of your kayak as you put it together so we can see how it comes out.

You might also wish to post your question on the forums at http://www.qajaqusa.org. There are many builders on that site who might be able to offer good advice on fabrics for the skin.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:24 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yost uses lighter pvc for the decks. Nylon ballistic cloth with 2-part urethane will bend, but it's too stiff to fold.
if you use black pvc for the hull, then Sikaflex make a great (black) solution in a tube for patching that I use

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 pm 
paddler

Thank you both Simon & Kerry,
I will do my own kayak due to available material restrictions and I plan to long distance trips for additional weight. I designed it tandem kayak. I do it in my home and it is not possible to work whenever I want due to place lackness. However I think it will be finished it until end of may. Below picture shows unfinished wood works of kayak. This is experimental work :), If I sunk, I also share it....
I read your advices especially related with skin. I also think heavy material usage only below level.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:56 pm 
paddler

Today I have sparetime and build some parts of my kayak. One can see the latest size, but I have many work with my kayak as skining, strips, and cut outs....
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3486_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6262_n.jpg
Gokhan Altintas