Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:24 pm 
recent arrival

Hello,
Looking to build a folding double this winter. I have ordered the plans for the PBK 19 from Clarkecraft. Having built a Yost design folder a few years ago i am more interested in the Victoria Patagonica design (using aluminium tubing for stringers rather than wood, hdpe bulkheads, etc) but the web page is no longer available. Tried using the "wayback machine" with no luck. Does anyone still have the information saved that they are willing (allowed?) to share. Are there any other designs for a folding double that i have missed?
Failing that i probably will try and adapt the PBK 19 to use aluminium and hdpe. Fingers crossed!
Cheers
Allan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:24 am 
recent arrival

I tried excactly the same! Besides this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pufe-AroqR0) and some low quality pictures, it’s hard to find enough information to build one on my own.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:54 am 
recent arrival

Hi Allan

I recently stumbled upon this description by somebody who built a Yost-style-ish double. I don't know if it's what you're after, and even if it is I don't know if it's any help because it's in German, but at the bottom there are plans and drawings. http://www.faltboot.org/wiki/index.php/ ... er%C3%BCst

He says he took the basic measurements from an existing folder by a notable German manufacturer...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:13 pm 
recent arrival

Hi,
Thanks for the info on the video and website. I found doing a google search for 'folding boat' in German and using google translate provided the most information. Most of these boats are built using traditional 'Klepper' style frames. Found some great ideas on joints and connectors.
I have received my PBK 19 plans and am reworking them to simplify the connectors and to use Klepper style gunnels with aluminum tube chines. Will start to post some pics once I have begun.
Cheers
Allan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:17 am 
recent arrival

Hi Allan,
I saved a copy of building plans for this boat. Please send me your email address and I will mail them to you.

Kind Regards,

AndiG