Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Folding Canoe?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:44 pm 
forum fanatic

Any sites deal with folding canoes or are there any folding canoe plans out there? I know I can buy them trying to find some home made builds to look over.
Thanks for any help

Tyler

Post subject: Re: Folding Canoe?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:25 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi,
Ally and Pak canoes both do folding open canoes. I think there is a Pouch open canoe. And I believe both Long Haul and Wayland are planning to release one soon.

The British canoeing site Song of the Paddle has a forum for home builders, which would be worth checking; but I'm not sure I've seen any folding designs for home-built open canoes. That said, there are people who paddle the big open cockpit kayaks with a single paddle. You could google Percy Blandford Kayak (usually abbreviated to PBK). At least one of his skin on frame designs is a folder. But while the British often use 'canoe' to refer to both kayaks and open canoes, it is a kayak rather than a 'Canadian' canoe.

Hope that helps.
Ian

Last edited by idc on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:45 pm 
forum fanatic

I still have a kayak on the go and plan on doing a yost design when I finish my current project, my wife however wants a canoe she doesn't seem too interested in the open kayaks much don't know why, I think she wants something that can handle 2 kids and a dog. I seen the ally and pakboats, been trying to find the weyland and LH models but have not found a pic yet, did find a russian folding canoe that looked really well built for the price, was lower then all the others I seen but then again it was in USD not CAD and I often forget to check what the prices are listed in so I might learn otherwise.

http://www.folding-canoe.com/

but no plans, will check out the uk canoe building site, found the other ones you mentioned already.
Thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:22 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Ty, if you go to the Long Haul Facebook page and look at the photos you can see several shots of the LH canoe down towards the bottom of the list.

I got to play with this canoe a little last summer and it will easily hold your entire family, steady as a rock, without worry.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:44 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

That Russian boat looks interesting. It appears to be their Ilmen model:
http://triton-ltd.ru/baydarki/universalnie/ilmen_3
Some similarities with Pak's development of the Ally (inflatable sides on an aluminium frame). I wonder if the German sites have any more information. (The Germans are quite big on their Canadian canoes and don't seem to be afraid of trading with Russia.) The price looks competitive. I wonder if the current round of proposed sanctions will increase it.

There doesn't appear to be a picture of Wayland's offering here, but there is a price-to-be-confirmed listing:
http://www.waylandkayaks.co.uk/folding_ ... ing_Canoes
(It has been 'coming soon' for a number of years now, so I don't know whether one should hold one's breath ...)

The pouch faltcanadier is mentioned here:
http://www.abc-sattlerei.de/boot/pouch- ... nadier.htm
http://www.luftboothandel-mating.de/def ... tailID=111
But I couldn't see it on their own products page. Perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough, or perhaps it wasn't a commercial success.

All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:46 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks for the photos, I came up with this I drew it out in sketchup as a preliminary sort of plan, after looking over the pictures I am thinking I might need to add 2 more stringers and make the gunwales a bit bigger. I kind of drew the notches in for them in at 1/2 inch and 5/8th inch square wood... maybe birch or ash. I am imagining that the floor sections would have 5mm plywood reinforcements. The bottom is a bit flat though, is that going to be a problem? It should be about 3ft wide and near 17ft long as it....
Thoughts? I would post up the sketchup file but I do not know how
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:18 am 
faltbootemeister

i'm looking for slim folding canoe with ama for long trips on big lakes and near-coast.
maybe a higher yost- greenlander?

any other idea?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:22 am 
forum fan

I guess you need a strong folding canoe to stress the craft with an ama.
An higher and thicker panels version of the falco 16 greenland could have been an option, but unfortunately the falco is not available. Anyway Gmchris here built a folding kayak inspired by yost's falco (it's a short version actually and there are few infos about performances). You could ask around about doubling the panels thickness (from 0.5mm to 0.9mm) to stand the ama. Another option is adding outriggers to the sea tour (folding version).
:?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:36 pm 
forum fanatic

Why is the falco no longer available? I thought it was a set of plans for home building? You might have a heck of a time bending 9mm plywood into shape over the 5mm, it is quite rigid stuff.
What about the sea tour 20? If you built the multi-chine design and added the inwales outlined in yosts tutorial and added supports running from the 3rd to 6th stations with some tubing (far enough to the sides where it wont interfere with the cockpit) it should give it the strength to support the ama I would imagine, but I am not an expert.
Personally, I would like the Victoria Patagonica but there are no plans available for it, but I think my wife would feel secure in that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:19 pm 
forum fan

I wished we could read the experts about it. In the meanwhile I can write you that the victoria is not so light neither so easy to assemble. Also multichine means lot of chines to assemble. The Falco, I really don't know why it's not available, I suppose Tom wants to make more tests before releasing the plans. Anyway you can probably try building any single chine design using the falco methods and stiffening the panels.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:12 pm 
forum fanatic

Found this one, apparently made by Triton in Russia, can not find it on their website though, might be out of production. 1500ish US isn't a bad price from what I can see.

http://www.folding-canoe.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:29 am 
recent arrival

Here is some info about wooden folding canoe from soviet times (in russian)
http://www.barque.ru/projects/1970/proj ... chebotarev
Hope You'll find some interesting stuff there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:51 am 
faltbootemeister

take a look to this german solution:

a canoe in origamistyle:
https://www.secure.kanu-gatz.de/index.p ... -MYCANOE-1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:26 pm 
forum fanatic

Plans for folding kayaks / canoes to the designs of Percy Blandford are available from Clark Craft of Tonawanda in New York State. I purchased drawings, templates and instructions for a canvas skinnned rigid canoe/ kayak from them and it is now in use on inland waters in Southern England. Percy Blandford's design for a single seat folder is also in his book 'Canoes and Canoeing' which changes hands second hand for usually a rather high £50. The folder in the book is the PBK24 'Puffin' It is of 11' length and 29" beam. The metalwork looks quite involved and it would be best to attach much of it with jigs to ensure repeatable accuracy.
I hope that this may be of some help.
Anon,
Malcolm