Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:42 pm 
forum fanatic

I'm wondering if anyone has input to a DIY build similar to the old Feathercraft Khatsalano. I tested out a Khatsalano way back on Granville Island back in the late '90s. Loved the boat but I was in university at the time and really couldn't afford one. Perhaps I'll get lucky and find one on the used market but, in the meantime, I'm seriously considering building something close. I've been browsing the mirror of Tom Yost's site and his Sea Ranger, Rover and Rider seem similar. I have a pair of Klepper A2s that we use with the family but there are times, early in the morning and late in the evening when the kids are a sleep and I'd love to be out paddling. There's a chance I'd take it on a weekend trip but not much more.

Which of these do you think would perform most similar to the Khatsalano? All of Tom's plans have narrower beams and smaller cockpits and I do wonder if they wouldn't feel just a tad tight in width. In fact the beam width of less than 20" seems like it might be too narrow for me. Are these concerned warranted?

FC Khatsalano:
Length x Beam: 5.4m x 56cm (17.7' x 22")
Cockpit Size: 70 x 41cm (27.5 x 15")

Sea Ranger:
Length x Beam: 5.4m x 49.5cm (17.6' x 19.5")
Cockpit Size: 56 X 40.5cm (22" X 16") or LC 76 X 40.5cm (30 X 16")

Sea Rover:
Length x Beam: 5.3m x 47cm (17.3' x 18.5")
Cockpit Size: 61 x 40.5 cm (24 x 16")

Sea Rider:
Length x Beam: 5.4m x 49.5cm (17.5' x 19.5")
Cockpit Size: 56 X 40.5cm (22 x 16")

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:15 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Your concerns may be warranted, but I'd have thought the beauty of a home build is precisely that you can add a couple of inches girth, if 20" is too narrow a beam for you, and end up with exactly what you want. I suspect that Tom would tell you not to worry about adapting his designs—though if that makes you anxious you could always run the alterations past more knowledgeable types and I'm sure someone will tell you the merits or demerits of your proposed changes. Just remember to document what you do, and how it worked out, so that those who come after can learn from your successes. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:18 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Nautiraid's Narak 550 is only 52 cm wide and is very stable in rough seas (and fast) so you should be ok with the Yost designs in calm conditions at least. Jus keep the seat as low as possible!

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:35 pm 
forum fanatic

Looking back at my notes from reading Chris Cunningham's book, I think I worked out a beam of about 19" based on my body measurements. However, I have a surgically repaired mcl and hamstring; Even with stretching, there's little hope of me being comfortable for a paddle without bowing my legs a little.

While I do enjoy our Cadillac Kleppers, I've paddled lots of river/sea hard shells and can high-brace and roll...