Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:17 pm 
forum fan

Hey, all you Folboters out there -- if you fancy a trip to the Everglades in January, you are most welcome to join us at the 16th Annual Flamingo Folbot Flotilla, 1/28-2/5/2017. We basecamp at the Flamingo Campground on Florida Bay in Everglades National Park for 10 days (or as many as you like). There are generally 35--45 of us. The activities, all optional and unguided, include day paddles, sailing, swamp tromps, a gear swap, reading, bird-watching, tall-tale-swapping, napping (our average age is somewhere north of 60 - although there is, of course, NO correlation whatever between that fact the the last-mentioned activity....). There is likely to be a night paddle through a lovely, spooky mangrove tunnel onto Coot Bay to watch the sunset/moonrise (don't forget to pack mosquito netting!). And occasionally a few intrepid souls will get up the gumption to go out for an overnight adventure to a chickee or one of the Gulf beaches.

If you're interested for 2017 or any future year, or if you just like receiving emails about swamps, send me a PM with your email address. I'll add you to the back-channel email list and send you the official f.a.q.

Audrey, Feathercraft Aeronaut
and a hardshell or two

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:50 am 
faltbootemeister

Are non-Folboters welcome?
Since we're now on a non-brand exclusive forum, just thought I'd ask.
:D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:16 am 
forum fan

flatwater wrote:
Are non-Folboters welcome?
Since we're now on a non-brand exclusive forum, just thought I'd ask.
:D

Good point, John. Absolutely, all are welcome. Just let me know of your interest by PM, everybody. You wouldn't want to miss out on that 16-page :shock: f.a.q., now, would you?

Ms. Verbosity, aka

and a hardshell or two

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:57 pm 
forum fan

Hey, folders! If you're interested in a swampy gathering in the Everglades this winter, now's the time to make your campground reservations for the Flamingo Flotilla. Six months in advance is the earliest they'll accept reservations, and time is a-ticking. Reservations are a necessity for anyone who wants electric hookups. Those sites go fast. Reserving is also strongly recommended for tenters and RVers who don't need hookups. It's a busy time, and management is always threatening to reduce the number of campsites. Word to the wise!

To reserve a spot at the Flamingo campground, go to http://www.recreation.gov, or call 1-877-444-6777 (515-885-3639 internationally). There are lots of tips on making your way through the convoluted reservation process in the official Flamingo Flotilla FAQ. Send me a PM and I'll get a copy to you.

and a hardshell or two

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:38 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks for the reminder Ann, I just completed my reservations. T loop with electric, arriving 1/26 and departing 2/9. See you there, Earl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:13 pm 
forum fan

Yay! See you there, Earl!

and a hardshell or two

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:24 pm 
forum fan

A word about the Zika virus.... It's in Miami. Definite non-travel-related cases. The virus is borne by mosquitoes, and, as you've probably guessed, Flamingo is full of mosquitoes.... So the only thing to do is do your own research and decide for yourselves whether the risk is worth it to you.

and a hardshell or two

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:21 pm 
paddler

Hi Ann,
Have never been to the Folbot Flotilla but bringing a Long Haul Mark I Expedition and a BSD rig + a Feathercraft K Light.
We have reservations for Friday and Saturday nights at Flamingo tent sites. Sunday and Monday we'll be in the back country.
We are two mid 50 year old, devilishly handsome guys looking to find rich wives as we both work for the EPA and we're pretty sure we're about to lose our jobs -- thanks to one little boy -- in a man's body - DJT!
Ah just kidding ... kinda!
I'm at jeffreyraleigh@yahoo.com or 919-414-4350
BTW -- also have like new single Klepper Expedition for sale on Raleigh Craigslist -- if you know or meet anyone interested. Gorgeous , gorgeous boat and in mint condition with extras!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:08 am 
forum fan

Glad you're coming, Jeffrey! We don't discriminate. We welcome even the devilishly handsome. See you there. Er, here!

and a hardshell or two