Steamed Clams 01 of 02

A place for kayak-related food discussion, like "What kind of granola holds up best to soaking in saltwater?"

Moderator: krudave

kdwalmsley
forum fanatic

Steamed Clams 01 of 02

Post by kdwalmsley »

Steamed Clams

Level: Easy

Yield: Two Servings

Prep: 20 minutes

Cook: 5 minutes

Pairing: Sauvignon Blanc

40 Manila Clams
1 Tbsp Chives, Dried
1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Pepper
1 cup Salt Water
8” dia. Pot

Directions:

Go kayaking. Harvest clams from the tidal flats next to your campsite at low tide. Take only tightly sealed clams. Pay particular attention to having the proper license, harvesting the correct size to maintain the resource, and not harvesting from commercial clam beds which people use to make their livelihood and feed their families.

Scrub clams clean using clear salt water and a potato scrub brush or other food safe, stiff bristled brush like a finger nail scrub brush. No soaps or detergents.

Store cleaned clams under shade in a bucket of clear salt water. Make sure the water completely covers all clams.

One to two hours before dinner, drain and rinse clams in clear salt water. Put them back in a bucket, completely covered in clear salt water till dinner. The clams are soaked and rinsed to get rid of silt and waste stored inside the clam.

Five minutes before dinner, drain and rinse clams in clear salt water. In the pot over high heat, combine a cup of unused, clear salt water, the chives, garlic, and pepper. Cover and bring to a rapid boil. When boiling, quickly add the clams in a single layer to the pot and replace cover. Clams are done when they open wide in three to four minutes. Reject any clams that did not open. Take out the open clams and add a fresh layer. Repeat till all clams are done.

Serve immediately in the shell with appreciation of whom you are with and where you are.

Note: This recipe can be easily improved, but it’s what we had on hand :)
Attachments
DSC_3692.jpg
DSC_3692.jpg (126.88 KiB) Viewed 779 times
DSC_3698.JPG
DSC_3698.JPG (121.28 KiB) Viewed 779 times
DSC_3706.JPG
DSC_3706.JPG (122.62 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Cheers,

Kevin

Long Haul MK II Stretch Quattro
BSD Expedition Schooner Rig
Best Kayaking Partner In The World

kdwalmsley
forum fanatic

Steamed Clams 02 of 02

Post by kdwalmsley »

A couple more pictures.
Attachments
DSC_3710.JPG
DSC_3710.JPG (103.81 KiB) Viewed 778 times
DSC_3708.JPG
DSC_3708.JPG (116.68 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Cheers,

Kevin

Long Haul MK II Stretch Quattro
BSD Expedition Schooner Rig
Best Kayaking Partner In The World

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Steamed Clams 01 of 02

Post by JohnSand »

Very cool. When I camp cruised small boats I found that a long day on the water followed by a simple meal made the food taste wonderful.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Steamed Clams 01 of 02

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

I would add two suggestions of flavorings that I carry on trips where fresh seafood may be an option -- these also enhance egg, rice and noodle dishes:
- "Sunny Paris" herb blend from Penzey's Spices (dried purple shallots, chives. green peppercorn, French basil, tarragon, chervil, bay leaf and dill)
- dehydrated butter powder (which is simply butter solids and adds buttery flavor sans fat. I add it to pancake mix as well, usually Kodiak Cakes Oat and Honey).
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15