Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:31 am 
recent arrival

I can understand that for bandwidth reasons the photo sizes are restricted, but wow, are they ever.

Knowing what I know now, I probably should have used a file hosting site when adding photos for an ad, but I was surprised by finding out each restriction in turn instead of knowing from the start.
I would suggest making the rules clearer.

I skimmed the general FAQ, and the 'before posting here' info for the advert forum. I could be wrong but saw nothing much about photos.

I tried to upload photos for my ad but they kept failing to do so. Eventually I noticed a small notice near the top of the page (away from the photo upload near the bottom) about max 128 k size.
OK, I cropped and resized all my photos and saved in low quality compression and tried again.
Failed again.
Now the notice was that 640*480 was the max.
So I resized once more.
Tried again. This time, I was stopped at 3 photos and informed that was the max.
So I had to delete and juggle photos until selecting 3 I wanted.

Phew! Whatever the restrictions, it would have been good to know from the start what they were instead of repeated rounds of editing.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:13 am 
Site Admin

A fair point. I’ve put a statement on memory limitations in the FAQ section, and I may add something to the “New Users” post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 pm 
forum fan

PChapman wrote:
I can understand that for bandwidth reasons the photo sizes are restricted, but wow, are they ever.

Knowing what I know now, I probably should have used a file hosting site when adding photos for an ad, but I was surprised by finding out each restriction in turn instead of knowing from the start.
I would suggest making the rules clearer.

I skimmed the general FAQ, and the 'before posting here' info for the advert forum. I could be wrong but saw nothing much about photos.

I tried to upload photos for my ad but they kept failing to do so. Eventually I noticed a small notice near the top of the page (away from the photo upload near the bottom) about max 128 k size.
OK, I cropped and resized all my photos and saved in low quality compression and tried again.
Failed again.
Now the notice was that 640*480 was the max.
So I resized once more.
Tried again. This time, I was stopped at 3 photos and informed that was the max.
So I had to delete and juggle photos until selecting 3 I wanted.

Phew! Whatever the restrictions, it would have been good to know from the start what they were instead of repeated rounds of editing.

Thanks.

When I have tried to post photos, I’m aware of the 128k limit and the 640*480 limit, but still have not been able to get just one photo to come up in my post.

My pics are stored locally, I do not have a url to link to. I am using an iPad, not a PC, but have access to a PC, if required. Can anyone provide very simple, very basic, step by step instructions on how to add a pic to a post.

I would like to be able to make posts that look like this: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8293

Please help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Easiest solution is to set up a free Flickr account, post photos there, and link to them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:14 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I’ve opened a Flickr account and uploaded photos but I’m at a loss as to how to download them to this site. Can this be done with my iPad?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:53 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Jake,
There should be a function in your Flickr account that allow you to share a link that will allow others to see what you have stored on that account. Technically you don't download the photos to this message board, the images are stored in Flickr and we would just be allowed to follow a link to view them there. Make sense?

g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Select a photo you have stored on Flickr. You’ll see several icons at the bottom of the page.

Click on the curved arrow in the lower right hand corner.

A menu will pop up. Click on Save URL

Paste the URL in your post. Select it, and click on the “img” icon at the top of the posting window. That will put the appropriate img and /img tags around it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:27 am 
forum fan

ok, I’ve got it this far. Apparently, the max photo size is not 640x480, the limit is no pic taller than 480 pixels. So a pic in landscape can be 640x480, but Flikr’s biggest allowed pic in portrait orientation is 240x320. In any case, it is something to work with.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:53 am 
forum fan

And thank you, mje. The step by step instructions helped. They didn’t work exactly as described on an iPad, but it was close enough to fumble around and find the last bits to make it work for me. After I truly get the hang of it, I’ll post how I do it in iOS (on an iPad).

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Good. I do prefer people post links to photos stored elsewhere. It keeps memory use low and speeds up the system response.