Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:04 pm 
I am looking for a folding kayak but am a hands-on person and would like to actually touch models in my search. I found the list of dealers very helpful but it would be more so if each entry included a city and state. I had to go through a lot to find one I could get to (I'm in Cincinnati and planing a trip to Chicago and Detroit soon). Some of the dealers don't even say what part of the world they are in on their web sites. This would be useful. Would love to know if there are any others in those areas or northern Ohio. Thanks for reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:39 am 
Summary of the big picture, to my observations: they are of two kinds - stores and dealers. Nearly any major kayaking store is at the same time a dealer of more than one folding brand. And then there are home-based businesses that don't have any showroom or have it in their barn.

Quote:
would like to actually touch models in my search.

Big problem. Because both kinds of dealers don't usually keep folders in stock - they are made to order. In major stores you might find some display models, and this is it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

For Folbots, there are no stocking dealers- every boat is built to order. Klepper- I don't know if anyone other than Peter Schwierzke stocks them. Randy at New York Kayak Company might stock them on the East Coast, but it's getting harder and harder to find them in stock anywhere. Long Haul you buy direct from Mark, and Pakboats direct from Alv, for the most part.

What you might do is ask around here and on the Bagboaters list to find an owner near you who can show you a boat. That, and read the reviews on the main foldingkayaks.org page.

What boats are you considering?

Post subject: my dream folder
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:09 pm 
Remember that this is coming from someone who wants a boat that will track really well, go fast, be stable and turn on a dime so. . .I like my long, lean 17' Tempest: edges easily, tracks well with skeg, feels good in terms of my contact with the boat. Size is an issue as I have a tiny RV to put it in with all my other gear. I want to paddle "big" water: The Gulf, oceans at peace, Ohio River, Mississippi, Great Lakes, mountain lakes, anywhere there is water that isn't moving too fast. Low maintainence is important as is durability. I'm kind of rough on things. Parts that aren't too hard to replace or make are part of the considerations. Would love to not need new gear like skirts and paddles (I have 230s). Buying a well loved/used that is cheap is my goal as my retirement check is pretty meager. It also needs to be relatively easy to figure out. Also I'm a large sized person so need a big boat. That probably covers it.

BTW, at the Ohio River Way Paddlefest paddlers' party last night, I may have passed up a major deal. An older German man was selling his family tandem Folboot from the 70s. It was canvas with a few patches - really well loved and used. He only wanted $200 and it included 3 paddles. I don't think it sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Karen wrote: Remember that this is coming from someone who wants a boat that will track really well, go fast, be stable and turn on a dime so. . .I like my long, lean 17' Tempest: edges easily, tracks well with skeg, feels good in terms of my contact with the boat.

This narrows the search considerably. That Tempest is a great hardshell; you will be hard pressed to find a folder as fast as it is, especially one someone will let go of for a song.

Consider some of the narrower Feathercraft; even the Folbot Cooper (their highest performer, speedwise) would not meet your requirements.

Your best bet is probably an older FC single. Watch the for sale notices here and pouncd when one shows up.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject: Re: my dream folder
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:02 am 
karenwxyz wrote:
I may have passed up a major deal. An older German man was selling his family tandem Folboot from the 70s. It was canvas with a few patches - really well loved and used. He only wanted $200

Faltboote in German simly means "foldable boat". If it was a "Folbot" brand from 70s (US, formerly British, company), I doubt it was foldable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:53 am 
Site Admin

Alex wrote: Faltboote in German simly means "foldable boat". If it was a "Folbot" brand from 70s (US, formerly British, company), I doubt it was foldable.

No, it could have been a folder. The Folbot Super tandem (double) was produced, typically with a vinyl skin, as a folder (TSF) or a non-folding boat in the form of a kit (TSK), up into the 1980's. The Super is a very large boat for a sea kayak, being even larger in beam (but about the same length) as the current Folbot Greenland II, and heavier, despite the use of many wood parts (Baltic birch plywood and/or marine plywood, I think).

Here is a link to a series of posts in the Folbot Forum detailing the experiences of a Utah couple with their 1970's TSF: http://folbotforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2135

There is a bit of a "cult" following on these boats, with some devotees restoring some pretty old, dilapidated craft, including new skins, almost excleusively of the non-folding variety. Vinyl is not as durable as hypalon for a skin, however. The boats are somewhat of a maintenance headache, but these folks love them.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject: Cincinnati Folboot
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:18 am 
It was really Folbot as the spelling was the first thing I saw and commented on. He explained that they spell it with 2 o's in Germany where it was purchased 30+ years ago. It must have been one of the supers as it seemed huge compared to current boats. The skin was canvas at least on the top and the frame wood with metal connectors. It would still fold. It would be great fun for a small family who just wanted to have fun on the water where speed and effort would not be a factor. I think you would need oars and oarlocks to paddle it solo! There was room for a giant dog or a good sized kid or 2 small ones along with the 2 paddlers. I really hated to pass it by but I'm trying to thin my herd right now.