Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gallery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:14 pm 
Photo Galley is back, but text captures are lost, as I understand? And the only way to fix it now is adding the author's comments?

Post subject: Re: Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:56 am 
I think that's right, at least that allows the block of text to look like a block of text. Furthermore, I think you've got to log in to your gallery account and set permissions to prevent all and sundry from commenting your photo files, but I may be wrong on that. Maybe only logged-in gallery account holders can comment other user's photos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, sorry, but I had to upgrade software to recover the files- the old version was corrupted and unsupported, and it was the only way I could recover the photos.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm a one-man operation with limited time trying to run a free site with limited resources. These things will happen from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:42 am 
Christov_Tenn wrote:
Maybe only logged-in gallery account holders can comment other user's photos.

It looks like any guest can now comment, and one (or some) of them is spamming some commentboxes. Maybe only logged-in account holders should be able to comment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 am 
Site Admin

That's the way it should be set... I'll check.

Problems like this should be brought to my attention via email, if possible, as I don't necessarily read the Forum more than once a day...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 pm 
Hmmmmmm.......I'm new to this forum and immediately wondered why their is not a category for "Kayak Trip Photo's" or a "Gallery". Am I missing something as I cannot find a "gallery" section yet their is a discussion in regard to a "gallery" in the suggestion box.

Any help in linking to a gallery section on this forum would be immensely appreciated. Thanks! A newbie!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:09 am 
Photo Gallery is not a forum section. It is a section linked from the main page (see left menu). At the moment it's chaotic , because sub-sections of the Gallery (Assembling, Modifications etc) were introduced after people have created and posted their albums, often mixed.

May be sub-section "Kayak Trip Photos Photos" should be created. OTH, many photos are not really "Kayak Trip Photos", and content can be described as "Kayak Photos in either local or remote places". Meanwhile, will try and move my modification-related photos to "Modification".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:16 am 
Ops... "Modification" section is for Moderator only. Can't move my modification-related albums there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

I'll open up the mod section to all members of the gallery.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:22 pm 
Funny thing is - when somebody arrives directly to the Forum and opens it in a new window, bypassing the left menu of the main page (via Google or whatever) - there are no indications that main page and Gallery exist. There are no links from the Forum page. Naturally, people are wondering where and what that mysterious Gallery is. Foldingkayaks logo in the top left corner used to link to the Home page, but now it links back to the Forum. I know how time-consuming all these web-renovations are, but may be the kayak logo should link to the main page, and have a subscript below: "FK Home"?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Some time ago I tried to modify the scripts to automatically make sure the forum opened in a window of the main site, but that didn't work. Then I had links in the forum that would take you to the main site, and that worked, but the current version of the forum software won't let me do that.

I believe I have some info in the Info for Newcomers section that tells them about the main site... assuming people read it ;-) I suppose I should work on the code to make sure the forum opens in the main site again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:29 pm 
No worries... I think this was the first occasion in years, that somebody found the forum but not the main page first.