Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:50 pm 
If I do a google search for Folding kayak pages, I get this as first result:
http://foldingkayaks.org/ but clicking on it results in firefox stalling out with a blank white page.

Same thing with the forum: clicking on search results in google that should result in me going straight to the relevant forum page again results in firefox stalling out with that white page...

Actually the only way I have been able to access the front page is by manually inputting this http://www.foldingkayaks.org/WP/ into the url bar and then using the internal website links. Can only get to the forum by manually inputting this http://www.foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/ into the url bar.

- Noticed it when the website was overhauled recently, but hoped it was temporary.

Internet explorer works fine, and other pages in firefox that use flash and java also work fine...
I'm using win 7 64 bit on a high end DSL connection. Anyone else having trouble with firefox recently?
I really *hate* using IE, so I'm hoping this is fixable, or maybe just something on my end...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

There's a problem with the indexing of the Forum pages I haven't been able to devote the time to solve- or perhaps it's just my lack of skill with SQL. I'm going to do an upgrade to the entire forum software in the next week or so so we'll see what happens then.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:55 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I'm now getting huge text on the index page, standard size (or maybe a bit small) in posts. Anybody else finding this?

I'm using Internet Explorer 8.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:03 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I'm using Safari and although the search engine still doesn't work there are no other problems that I see. As a matter of fact, the login is working better than usual and not kicking me out after every visit.

Trying Firefox 10.0.2 right now and it is working just as well as Safari.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:49 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I haven't noticed any changes. I'm using firefox 9.0.1. The website still comes up blank most of the time, but then loads the page correctly when I hit 'refresh'. It is a slightly annoying work around, but I'm so used to it now I tend to forget I have to do it. Presumably my distro will get around to giving me the latest Firefox eventually.
Thanks again for running the site. I enjoy reading ...
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:55 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Well, my text size problem has disappeared, and today "New posts" worked first time - I haven't been able to use that for a long time. So Mike's work seems to be doing some good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hey Mary, you're right! New posts is now working. Great news!
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:44 pm 
faltbootemeister

Tonight, I tried my older Mac with a recent download of 'Omni Web' from OmniGroup.com . So I'm chiming-in because of the more or less peculiar combination of computer and Browser.

Each of the features noted by others seem to work just fine with this combination. Evidently, Mike did whatever was necessary to enable those functions to return to previous form. Haven't tried all the "View All ..." links below the date line, though. But things look splendid through OmniWeb.

Last 18 months or so I've been viewing things through Firefox on Win 7 - I've not had any issues with the performance; nor yet with Opera.