PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 am 
recent arrival

Any one bought one?
http://kayacat.com/

I cannot find any user reviews.

Post subject: Re: KayaCAT
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

That’s an interesting looking boat- particularly the sail package.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:17 pm 
faltbootemeister

Some user reviews: https://www.facebook.com/pg/KayacatKaya ... e_internal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Those reviews are all on the seller's Facebook page. I'd wait until a few reviews showed up on paddling.com, but then, I'm cautious. If you buy one, tell us all about it here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 pm 
recent arrival

I still can't find any user reviews yet. Hope this is not another failed kickstarter project.

Some thoughts though..I am curious how is the storage space in water during kayak.I don't see any storage compartment.

I have written to them for reviews but no reply (yet).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Their boats remind me of the craft that crazy Russian whitewater paddlers use. May want to watch this on "mute" unless you have the stomach for Russian thrash metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQhNWjtmY5E

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

more weird Russian inflatables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Vey33cFrk

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 am 
paddler

I've bought one last year (The cougar (sailing version)) and am quite happy with it.
Some infos you might like to have:
-If you buy the sailing version, you also have the kajak. The difference is made up by some extra equipment like sail, mast and widening for the frame. The floats are the same (they are widened/ narrowed by a zipper arrangement).
-The sailing version in the backpack weights in at 13 kg (pump included). The backpack also looks bigger in nature compared to the pictures on the webpage (creative editing, I guess).
-10 min. assembly is a little optimistic, expect about 15 - 20 min if you are used to it. It often takes longer, because of interested spectators :wink:.
I use a manual pump (about 5 min), so the use of an electrical pump may save some time.
-You can't overinflate the floats, there are safety vents. The builders advice is, to inflate until you hear the vents hissing.
-Assembly is quite uncomplicated. You get an access to an assembly video after purchase. Even more important: There is also a video on how to put the kayacat back into the backpack.
-The floats material seems to be quite robust (nylon or polyester outer hull, reinforced at critical places). I didn't try it on whitewater yet, but I "discovered" sunken trees or rocks by scraping over them and they didn't leave a mark. I asked kayacat.com what to do in case of damage and they advised me to either send it in for repair or ask a local sailmaker (local as in my local, not theirs).
-Speed: For comparison I am about 83 kg and a total hobbyist in kajaking, so a lighter, better trained person would probably do better. In kayak-mode I achieve about 5-6 km/h average and 8 km/h max (on a lake). In sailing-mode I drove it up to 10 km/h at sea, though I didn't thrash it out there. It seems a lot faster, since you are sitting about 20 cm above the water.
-Sailing performance: I got it to about 70° into the wind, so tacking takes some time, paticulary if strong waves (around 0.5m) are involved. In this case, I sometimes found it easier to go to shore, reassemble into kajak-mode and paddle back.
Builders advice is to not use it at waves higher than 0.5 m, I used it up to 0.8m in Kajak mode, which was quite a wet experience.
-While sailing, it can get wet from below (waves and spill), so best take a plastic bag or something similar with you (you are sitting on a net), and adjust your wardrobe to the temperature. The seat itself is quite comfortable (adjustable backrest), thought you might want some upholstery during a longer trip.

Conclusion:
I searched for a boat, which is easy to transport and assemble to use it in mid- to fair weather and to take it with me on vacation. I'am quite satisfied with my purchase, and hope to stay that way in the future :wink:.
If you want to order the cheetah (rowing version), be advised, that according to web-comments, they seem to be still in development. You could order another version and order the rowing app when it is available.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Looks good and a very interesting kit with all you need available, the motor looks interesting but I didn,t check the battery. If I can scrape the cash I might ,with permission from you know who, go into it further. But I live on an island surrounded by sea, so no lake sailing which I have to consider. On looking the battery seems to be in the motor pod, so the question I would ask what is it,s endurance, charging , and is the battery replaceable?